Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 has out of memory errors under Mac OS X 10.7.4

Aug 1, 2012 12:45 PM

Has anyone who has a 2008 MacBoo Pro with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB graphics card tried running Photoshop CS6 under Mac OS X 10.7.4?

On my MacBook Pro, PS CS6 launches; however, any action results in an out of memory error.  The CS6 versions of After Effects, Premiere Pro and Illustrator all launch and run as expected under 10.7.4.

If I switch to my Mac OS X 10.6.8 startup volume, Photoshop CS6 runs as expected.

I have support cases open with Adobe, NVidia and Apple.  Adobe thinks I need to update the display drivers.  NVidia says display drivers must be provided by Apple.  Apple says that the display drivers are current.  The Apple support agent said that he can escalate the case if the issue can be reproduced on more than one computer.

I'd love to keep my MacBook Pro running another year or so without having to reboot in 10.6.8 every time I need to use Photoshop.  I'd stay with 10.6.8, but of course iCloud requires 10.7.4.

I have not tried Mac OS X 10.8 yet, but it's on my troubleshooting list.

Also, PS CS6 runs fine under Mac OS X 10.7.4 on my 2010 iMac.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

- Warren

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to wheaton01

I know you're looking for "me too" responses, but unfortunately I don't have that hardware.

You've probably been down this road already, but have you tried all the combinations of various GPU settings in Photoshop CS6's Performance preferences, making sure to fully quit and restart Photoshop after each change?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to wheaton01

I don't think that's GPU related - else the GPU would be turned off in Photoshop and you'd get GPU specific error messages.

And "out of memory" errors are not common in Photoshop.

Have you tried resetting Photoshop's preferences?

Do you have any third party plugins installed?  Have you tried disabling them?

Do you have any Flash panels loaded? Have you tried disabling them?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to wheaton01

Next thing I would suggest is what Chris suggested - press and hold Command - Shift - Option immediately upon cold-starting Photoshop.  If you're quick enough to get the keys down, Photoshop will prompt you to delete your current preferences, which will invoke a fresh set of defaults.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to wheaton01

No tools?  Can you show the toolbar and other palettes? (hit tab if they're not visible)

That's starting to sound like you have a bad install (missing parts of the app).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to wheaton01

Something is causing serious problems with Photoshop, but it's not something that we've seen before, and not hitting our normal error reporting code.

Last guess would be a bad OS install.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 5:28 PM   in reply to wheaton01

You're dual booting and runnig two different OSs and expecting the exact same installed files to work?  Generally speaking that sounds like an iffy thing to do tO me, but I'm no Mac expert.

I might suggest a full removal of the software including use of the Creative Suite Removal Tool, then reinstall.

But wait for Chris to confirm this.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 12:40 AM   in reply to wheaton01

>> If I boot another machine from the 10.7.4 volume, PS CS6 runs as expected.

That's odd.  It means that something about the machine configuration is causing problems for Photoshop.

Maybe a particular device driver?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to wheaton01

Thanks for letting us know what you found!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to wheaton01

We have just updated our lab computers and have run into a similar situation. Where some iMacs giving us this exact issue. The image we are working with works with other computers but not on these. I am currently going to try restoring an old 10.6.8 image and then upgrade manually and see if that also fixes the problem.  All the computers that this is happening on have NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB.  I will let you guys know if updating from 10.6.8 to 10.7.4 actually fixes my problem like it did for Warren.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to wheaton01

I installed Snow Leopard then installed Master Suite to make sure it worked on Snow Leopard. Upgraded to Lion and everything worked fine.  The issue I have to try and figure out is what is getting updated or installed that isn't on our image. What I am trying now is re-installing our image to actually see if its a software thing with Lion or if the update changed something in the hardware. We spent a month creating and configuring our current image and its a week until school starts so you can see that we have a bit of a time problem with this particular error.  If I install the image and it works then the updating actually changed something in the hardware of the graphics card, but if the re-install doesn't work it is strickly software. Does anyone have ideas of where I can find the driver or what ever the upgrade process does diffrently? Like just find the peices and save them and install just those parts on the image.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to wheaton01

Thanks for the link. It was the 8800 GS not the GT but I tried it anyway just in hopes that it would work. It didn't. So odd thing for me. I had deleted all the photoshop prefrences numorous times and that never had any effect on it, but I was having a conversation with a co worker and they wanted to make sure it wasn't a prefrence problem so I suggested deleteing everything in the prefrences folder. And it worked! So I then tried deleteing just  all of the adobe prefrences from the Main Library as well as the User Library and when that was done it all work. So obviously one of the other adobe products prefrence files was causing an issue in photoshop.  I kind of kicked myself for not trying that earlier but I just didn't think prefrences from other files could have an effect on Photoshop but that fixed the problem for me.  So I would suggest starting there. Then moving to driver problems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points