Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What does "After Effects error: Not enough memory to initialize PSL. ( 83 :: 8 )" mean?

Oct 1, 2012 7:11 AM

So, about a week ago I did a fresh install of 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate on a new PC, and subscribed to the Adobe Creative Cloud, installing After Effects CS6 and Photoshop CS6 from the Adobe Application Manager, then doing all updates (and I just checked right now at 10:35PM on July 26th, I have the latest versions of everything).

After Effects was working completely normal, then just now, I tried to import a Photoshop .psd and I got the error message:

After Effects error: Not enough memory to initialize PSL.

( 83 :: 8 )

Then After Effects crashed. So now it opens up normally, but when I try to import a .psd or open an After Effects project saved from an earlier version of After Effects (CS3 to CS5) I get the same error and a crash, every single time.

Searching the forums, I see people talking about this error when importing .psds into CS5, and they say that getting the latest updates solved the issue for them (which obviously can't help me). I'm running all legit software on a brand new computer with 32 GB of RAM which has passed all my physical stress tests so I know it's not hardware related.

The one thing I saw people suggest is to hold down Ctrl-Alt-Shift when starting the program. When I do this, Windows asks if I want to allow After Effects to make changes to the system, and when I say yes, I can import .psds and open the older AE files. When I close After Effects and reopen it without holding down the Ctrl-Alt-Shift keys, it goes right back to crashing.

Obviously the smart-*** answer is "then hold down Ctrl-Alt-Shift, dummy", and I'll do that for now, but is there any clue what the problem is?

I feel like kind of a chump because I decided to stop using my student versions of Adobe software (I haven't been a student for about four years) and pay the full price for the cloud membership and the latest creative suite, and it's full of bugs.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2012 10:57 PM   in reply to iammichaeldavis

Holding down the keys resets the prefs. Se that thread for the exact same suggestion:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/950688?tstart=30

If it doesn't stick, you have a permissions problem or some tool is blocking the file or restoring an old, damaged one. And the permissions issue may exist on a more general level when AE fails to initiaklize the PS component. I had some detailed blurb on theat on my error code database a lifetime ago, but the site is long dead, so I can't point you to any links...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to iammichaeldavis

Have you actually verified the prefs files have been deleted (and workspace files, for that matter, too)? Check your user Folder:

C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects etc.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to iammichaeldavis

Hi,

if on windows machine, make sure the temp/tmp system environmental variables point to  %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp, if it is in a different location, you'll experience crashes in various Production Premium programs (bridge, prelude), not able to import psd in premiere or AE, photoshop gives some strange error on swapfile as it tries to open it up on root of C:.  You can run the individual programs elevated, though dynamic link won't work between programs like PPro/AE.

Hope it helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to iammichaeldavis

glad to help..

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to StevRo

I am experiencing the same problem on a brand new win7, x64 machine, 32gb ram and system on 250GB SSD (C) and  userprofiles on D drive. When opening a downloaded AEP project I consistently get the "Not enough memory to initialize SPL" error. I like to have userdata on a volume separate from system data for backup and other reasons.

If running in Administrator mode, or running a profile located on the C drive (the original Administrator account) then it works ok.

Setting the system environment variables to point to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp does not help.
    Nor if they are hardcoded. In fact I am unsure what happens when no one is logged in with the suggested setting, since %userprofile% has no value in that case. Setting system variables to point to a user folder seems like a poor idea to me, generally speaking. But most importantly it does not resolve the issue.

Any ideas anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to iammichaeldavis

Thanks for clearing it up. It is hard to believe that a company such as Adobe cannot handle such an issue, but you may well be right.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 3:37 AM   in reply to iammichaeldavis

Well, the good news is that YOU CAN have your AE CS6 working, including dynamic link to AP, and at the time, you can have your user data whenever you want. You just have to create a "fake" temp folder in C:, like this "C:\Users\WHATEVERYOURUSERNAMEIS\AppData\Local\Temp".

Check all the permissions and ownerships for your user name.

Then, go to My PC, right click Properties / advanced.../ environment variables... and check that you have both TEMP and TMP pointing to "C:\Users\WHATEVERYOURUSERNAMEIS\AppData\Local\Temp" (hardcoded)

Restart and there you have.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to Luix35

Luix35... I'm confused by your explaination. I don't see how this allows me to have my temp files on another hard drive. Could you elaborate for people who like me who are as sharp as a marble?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 12:44 AM   in reply to mrmMark

Well, mmMark....

As far as I remember this issue, it occured to me, and to many others, because we wanted to change Windows's default user location. Say that you want to have ALL your data in a separate drive D: instead of Windows system drive (typically C:). Just in case you want to reinstall your operating system, for instance.

You can do this without any problem by fiddling a little with the Windows registry an then creating a new user account that will be created wherever you want. By doing this, you are also creating a default temp directory (let's say D:\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Temp) that will be used by nearly all the aplications.

The problem with After Effects is that it will keep trying to use Window's default temp directory, which is (should be) in C:\. But it is no longer there, because you changed it to your custom location.
    So, basically, the solution is telling After Effects "So, you want a temp directory in c:\? there you have it, just for you. The rest of us will work in D:"... It's a patch, I know, but is easy and harmless, and just to allow AE to start.

Nevertheless, once AE has started , you can go to preferences and specify where you want your scratch disks and so on... so, all you sensible data would go wherever you want.

I hope that  After Effects staff will take note of this issue and solve it in future versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 9:43 PM   in reply to Luix35

I too am experiencing this issue in CS6 and I don't like the suggested "solutions".  Like many people with updated hardware, I have my boot disk as an SSD on C:.  I've also got all my User folders on the D: drive.  A well-behaved Windows application is expected to use %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp which in my case would be D:\Users\xxx\AppDataLocal\Temp.

I'm not going to mess up my clean layout to put some bogus folders on my C: drive or to always run in Admin mode.  Certainly Adobe must have a better solution in mind than to always assume that users are stored on the C: drive.  That is just not following the Windows standard.  Please Adobe, can you fix this in a CS6 update?  It's wrong.

For the sake of completeness:

Windows 8 Pro x64

Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.4GHz

16GB RAM

C: 256GB SSD (Boot/Windows/Programs)

D: 2TB HD (Users/Footage/Output)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 11:42 PM   in reply to PuzzlingGuy

And I totally agree...

|