I recently got Flash CS5 a couple days ago. I moved a large .fla file that I'd been working on in Flash 8 into CS5 yesterday and I've been working smoothly with it since then. (I converted it to CS5 format of course)
Suddenly, today, CS5 crashed when I tried to copy/paste a symbol into another file's library. The file I had been working in is now corrupted, since CS5 crashes every time I try to open that file.
I have been working with flash (Flash 8 professional) for four years, and I have never once experienced anything like this. Crashes, sure - but flash8 never corrupted an fla file. Four years, no problems. Two days with CS5 and all of my work in the program is down the drain.
This is very frustrating. Is there anything I can do to save my .fla file, or is this something that I just have to learn to work around?
Thank you for help/suggestions.
If you have any kind of backup arranged for your machine, see about restoring the file. If you don't have any kind of backup, then for the future make it a practice to save older versions as backup on a somewhat regular basis.
When you start editing files try to make it a habit to save new copies rather than sacving over older files.
When you have files that involve customers, value, or extensive effort, you should keep multiple copies on different media/storage devices. Every so often I save files and whatnot to dvd data disks.
As far as recovering the file that keeps crashing, try entering some terms like "restore corrupted file" in the top of the forum where it says Ask a Question and see if any results come up that lead to some help. I remember someone recently talking about renaming files or some such thing and opening them, though you'd need to find it to try it properly.
if you have a working swf, you can decompile it and reconstitute your fla.
in any case, you should save your fla periodically with different names like yourfla_01.fla, yourfla_02.fla etc so you never risk loosing too much work.
Thankfully I did create backups and had earlier versions of the files. After a couple hours of work I've reconstructed most of the corrupted .fla file.
Still quite frustrating though. Oh well, I guess it happens. =\
Please go throw the below article and check whether this would resolve your issue.