Latest reply: Zack_Darling, Aug 15, 2012 5:04 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 9:39 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Incidentally, the Mac is as much of a PC as any Windows machine, for PC stands simply for Personal Computer.

These guys are fine with the terminology I used.

http://www.bestpctips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/getamac1.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 9:46 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Frankly, I wouldn't be the least impressed with the culture, IQ or vocabulary of two guys that look like that

http://www.bestpctips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/getamac1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:55 PM   in reply to station_two

Mac and PC (they have actually acquired a separate meaning) are closer than words. The hardware differences have vanished. IIRC, Intel considered the Mac to be a boutique client. Or at least, the engineers with whom I worked called it that. I was there when Mac capitulated.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 2, 2012 3:42 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Frankly, I wouldn't be the least impressed with the culture, IQ or vocabulary of two guys that look like that

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I think a more proper wording of that sentence might be "...two guys who look like that."

I take it you're not a jeans, tee shirt, crumpled jacket, and tennis shoes kind of Mac user, then? 

Speaking of "I'm a PC"...  Did you notice that Dell already has their new high-end desktop machines (Precision T3600/T5600/T7600) out, embracing Sandy Bridge Xeons (such as the E5-2687W) and beating the anticipated Mac Pro to the market?  It's good to see the development of real computer systems hasn't been stopped altogether with all the "portable smart devices" nonsense, but what has Apple been doing instead of designing new hardware?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

station_two wrote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I think a more proper wording of that sentence might be "...two guys who look like that."…

Nah, I'll stick with "that".  Those two pathetic caricatures do not amount to human beings deserving of the relative pronoun "who".

Are you sure that last paragraph in your post is addressed to me?  Why would I notice anything "Dell" might do?  Now, dill pickles would catch my attention. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 2, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Are you sure that last paragraph in your post is addressed to me?  Why would I notice anything "Dell" might do?  Now, dill pickles would catch my attention. 

Yes, in that Dell and Apple create THE high-end workstations to have, and I very much doubt you'd return-to-sender a new Mac Pro if someone accidentally shipped one to you.  I just found it interesting that Dell preceded Apple with bringing out a new Sandy Bridge based workstation design.  Since this has become a bit of a Mac vs. PC discussion, I'd like to point out that your seeming "air of superiority" (presumably Mac over PC) isn't well-justified at the moment...  Right now, the best PCs will kick the butts of the best Macs.  Now if only I could scrape together eleven grand to own one...

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

HP is also building workstations. I don't know the price but then, HP hasn't the stellar reputation I want to be willing to buy it. In any case, I also would have to scrape the bux, but before that, I would be buying a Nikon D800. I used one  recently, and the difference between my D90 and the 800 is like the difference between Kodachrome and Ektachrome, between Panatomic X and Technical Pan. The output is so dense in data that it takes in stride the most outrageous b&w moves I make (and demand) for producing the images I prefer. But I still would not need the workstation. My current setup handled the images nicely, even the 20G scratch didn't come near filling up, and that included a 3 panel stitch! (The 100% view is unlike any 100% view I've ever seen). So simply upping to an Ivy Bridge i5, with a simple mobo using the H77 chipset would handle it very well.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 2, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Lawrence, did you ever look over that 96 megapixel upsample I made from a D800 image?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4502881

The stunning lack of noise and high accuracy (not to mention the initial high pixel count) means the D800 images can be taken quite far with digital processing...  Being invested in quite a bit of Canon kit myself and not quite willing to jump to the other brand, I do hope Canon counters with a model (5D Mark IV?) that pushes the performance envelope up in the ways Nikon has accomplished.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

No, I haven't. What I wanted to do is to rent a D800 and do some trials. However, I had a visit from a cousin who brought it along with the 105mm Macro lens, with which I proceeded to shoot away. Stupid me, I forgot the 70-300 zoom I have is an fx lens so I didn't try it. But the result is stunning.18036x7234 px, for a print 10x25, at 720dpi, the native res of the Epson 3800. I haven't printed yet.

The file in grey 16 bit is 249M! I wish I could post it here. 8 bit doesn't help much, 125M!

The key here is what I said earlier. It isn't the final size capability that mattered as much as the sheer information volume one can throw away with no noticeable degradation at 100%.  I can get somewhat close with the D90 by paying attention to the places where there is major value shifts like clouds against dark sky and soften the transition, but shadow values tend to pixelate. None of this is visible with the D800.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 11:50 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Well, Noel, [re your post #47], we can put to rest the expectations of those misguided souls who were telling us the platform wars would not be a problem when the Macintosh and Windows Photoshop forums were combined.  Of course many of us knew better.

Platform wars are as unproductive as they are predictable and boring.  Hudechrome was almost correct when he pointed out that "[t]he hardware differences have vanished."  Of course, it was never about the hardware.  It's the OS and the visual interface that matter to me.  Windows is just butt ugly to look at, and no fun to maintain at all.  That's as subjective a judgment as anyone can imagine, but that's my position.

I will just remind you that the origins of the platform wars are to be found in the derision Microsoft users had for the GUI, menus and the mouse of the Lisa and the Macintosh at a time when Microsoft was still using MS-DOS and touting the superiority of the CLI .

Of curse, if anybody "capitulated" it was "PC" users when they adopted Windows.    Apple has merely switched CPU suppliers, from Motorola in the beginning through IBM during the Power Mac PPc era to Intel in 2006.  No capitulation there at all.

Nevertheless, I still fail to grasp why you would expect me to keep up with anything Dell does.    I haven't been to their web site in many years, probably not since mid 2005, and I don't read the kind of publications in which that corporation might be mentioned. <_shrug_>   http://forum.watmm.com/public/style_emoticons/default/shrug.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to station_two

Hardware was also an issue back when the wars were in full swing. Claims that Mac HW was of a higher quality than that employed by x86 OS' abounded.

And that was true if only by implication at levels beyond the mere wars in the forums.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 3, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to station_two

War?  Hardly.  You need to lighten up!  I'm trying to encourage Mac Pro lovers here.  What's released on the PC side often portends what's going to be released on the Mac side, and the things coming out of the starting gates are very, very attractive!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 11:30 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

Hardware was also an issue back when the wars were in full swing. Claims that Mac HW was of a higher quality than that employed by x86 OS' abounded

LOL !  Well, that was reality, actually.  It was absolutely true at that time. 

Early Windows boxes weren't that well made.  I remember them. 

You don't need to remind me that's no longer the case.  Should I live long enough, there's no doubt in my mind that my next computer will be running Windows.  If Apple ever goes back to offering a serious desktop computing platform it will take them years to catch up after the monumental Lion and Mountain Lion fiasco, if ever.  Not in my lifetime anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 11:45 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

...and the price differential was astronomically disproportionate too!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to station_two

Still is.

So far as crappy Windows HW, it's all from a common source. What Apple did is what Tektronix did: find the best combination of ingredients, make sure that tolerances are correct and source well. Tek bought and used from the same pool as Muntz TV (if you remember that one!)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to kmgraphic

I found the solution: Adobe released this patch which fixes the problem: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4911/

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points