Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I import an older Premier Project in Premier Pro CS6?

Aug 1, 2012 3:38 PM

Tags: #premiere #import

How can I import an older Premier Project in Premier Pro CS6? I am guessing the project is from around Premiere 5 or 5.5.

Do I have to install PP5x? If so, then how do I get it into PP CS6?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to aart12

Yes you open a previous version project file with CS6. It will prompt you to save a new Project file. CS6 does not require the previous version to be installed to open the Project file.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to aart12

As Eric points out, there should be no issue at all, and no installation of the older version.

If Open does not function, then create a New Project, and attempt to Import that CS 5/5.5 Project into it. Note: to get your Sequences, you will need to trirl open the Bins, until you find them, and then Dbl-click on them.

As some functions have changed with CS 6, there might be a few little things, that will not "convert" 100%, but usually PrPro is good at waring of such incompatibilities.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to aart12

Yes!  Generate->Lens Flare

You can always search for an effect by typing a portion of its name in the Effects and Preset panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to aart12

Is this Macintosh or PC?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to aart12

It could well not be that PrPro CS 6 does not have all of those, but that it does not have the version in Pr 5.

Also, after I typed my Reply above, and then saw your response, I realized that your Project is from Pr 5/5.5, and not CS 5/5.5. Otherwise, I would have told you to list All Files, to get to those old Project files, but you covered that with *.*. I have worked with several Projects from Pr 6/6.5, and as those were from a Mac, I had to first add the .PPJ file extension, just for PrPro to see those files.

In my cases, there were very few "glitches," and they all revolved around Effects that had existed in Pr 6/6.5, but not in PrPro (my version), or 3rd party Transitions. In every case, PrPro gave me a dialog screen, with the exact TimeCode, and the name of the "missing" Effect, or Transition. It was easy for me to investigate the missing Effects, and then just add the current versions to the Clips in question, and PrPro told me exactly where to look. Same for the missing Transitions, which I just replaced with Cross-Dissolves.

Sorry that I missed that the Projects were Pr, and not PrPro, but you figured that out.

Also, as Greg alludes, there are some Effects that ARE available (though they might well differ from ones, of the same names, back in Pr) on the PC, but are missing on the Mac. Think that there are a few Transitions, that are missing too?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    970 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 12:18 AM   in reply to aart12

Premiere 5 or 5.5!  Come on - it's hardly Adobe's fault that there's been one or two changes since 1998!

I think we'd all be a bit p****d off if there hadn't been ;-o

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

Is there a list that mentions backwards project version importing/ opening compatability?

Have some ppjs from 2003-2004 (must have been P 6.5 or 7) which  will not open or be imported.
    Btw same with some AEPs.
    Which intermediate version could open and convert them to be editable in current versions?

Would Cs3/4 be able to read them and resave for cs5/6?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to evan.fotis

Just opened an AE 6.5 in AE CS3; then could open the AE CS3 with CS6. It warned of a change in 3D rendered in the first step, and the par adjustments (from CS4) in the second step.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 10:36 PM   in reply to aart12

Since the File>Open did not show the older 'ppj' extension, I put in *.* and allowed it to list all the files.

Could you explain exactly how you do this? I tried, but there is no dropdown to choose *.*, and you cannot type that value in.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points