Skip navigation
rabbitd123
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with Transition

Aug 2, 2012 4:13 AM

Hello everybody!

I need some help with Premiere Elements 10. I have never used this program early, and have not enought knowloges in it. I'm realy hope, that you can help me.

My problem is:

I make a move from one big *.mp4 file. First of all I need to cut this video to part, to use some parts of them in my movie. I use Auto-Analyzer to separate my big video into parts by scene. So I have many small parts of my video. Then I move some of this parts to Timeline and bild some movie. But when I make a Transition between any 2 parts, I can see at time of this Transition very short part of other part of video (that, in big version of my video, play before them). Why it appear? When I place 2 part together without Transition, it i not appear. Only when I make Transition.

Could anybody help me?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to rabbitd123

If you are adding transitions between clips created based on scenes by the Auto Analyzer, your transitions are using essentially the same material between scenes to create the transition, so they'll be pretty much invisible.

In other words, the when you add a transition between two clips, the transition has to use some extra frame beyond the end or beginning of each clip to create the transition. Since your "scenes" are just trimmed back versions of your longer clip, those extra frames are really part of the next or previous clip -- so you can't see the transition.

Bill Hunt has an excellent explanation of how transitions work in our Tips & Tricks forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/701768?tstart=60

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to rabbitd123

As Steve poihts out, if all that was done, was a Cut, then with a Transition added, there is nothing to Transition from, or to - it's the same, as if the Cut had not been bade.

If, however, you move those new Clips (formed by the Cuts) around, then you CAN add a Transition, that will show up,

When you do the Cutting (you are doing this on "automatic," so the planning needs to come in with the second step), you need to allow for Handles, i.e. extra Frames, before an In Point, and after an Out Point, to allow for the Transition. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/701768?tstart=60.

Once you have moved those new Clips around, changing their order, you will want to adjust each Clip's In and Out Point, to provide those necessary handles.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to rabbitd123

Those are examples, showing how things looked with A-B Roll editing. They are for visual demonstration purposes only. One DOES the work on a single Video Track with current NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs, like PrE. As the visual display of the Clip is from In Point to Out Point, the Handles are not seen, BUT they are used with Transitions. That they are invisible on the Timeline, is what throws many. Back in the days of film, or even Video with A-B Roll editing, they were seen, and hence obvious. Not so nowadays. Sorry that those examples were confusing. Maybe I need to add a caption, or two. Thanks for pointing that out.

I you look down to my Reply # 1, you will see the Clips on the same Video Track, Video 1 here.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Ed.Macke
    683 posts
    Mar 17, 2006
    Aug 2, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yeah, I think the problem with the "picture 3" is that it looks like what you could see in the PRE timeline if you put the "A Roll" on VT2 and the "B Roll" on VT1, and did the transistion manually.

If I understand correctly (and that's a big if - I feel like I barely have a grasp on this stuff ), what you're illustrating is what PRE is doing behind the scenes with the clips.

What might help is if you added an illustration to show how the timeline would look. Again, if I understand correctly, Clip A and Clip B would be on the same track - Clip A would "end" where you've put the red "out point", and Clip B would "start" where you've put the red "in point", and there would be a transistion where the duration on each clip is it's handle length.

Also, to me, what gets really hard to understand is when the transistions aren't symetrical, i.e. Start at Cut, End at Cut, or are 75/25.

And even harder to understand is what happens when handles aren't available.

Frankly, this stuff gives me a headache every time I think about it. I'd like to stick my head in the sand and ignore, but the problem is it's kind of critical to understanding how PrE does transistions.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ed.Macke
    683 posts
    Mar 17, 2006
    Aug 2, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to rabbitd123

I wouldn't mind knowing what you find ended up doing, rabbit.

What was the problem and what did you do to solve it? Did you stick with the Dip To Black, or go with the keyframing?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to rabbitd123

I agree with Ed, in that your solution might well help another user (and maybe some of the "regulars" too), should they encounter issues with Transitions. Please do update the thread, with your solution.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Ed.Macke
    683 posts
    Mar 17, 2006
    Aug 3, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to rabbitd123

Thanks for reporting back, rabbit. Yes, that is helpful.

I forgot that you could edit the Transitions via the Properties panel. And if I remember correctly, that panel does make it easier to see what PRE is doing with those "invisible" handles.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to Ed.Macke

Ed,

I added some captions to the illustrations in the "Handles" article.

Take a look, and let me know if that makes things clearer.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Ed.Macke
    683 posts
    Mar 17, 2006
    Aug 3, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks, Hunt.

Yes, the captions do make things clearer. BTW, I never knew that little triangle on the clip meant it didn't have handles - you learn something new every day!

To make more work for you...

What might really bring it home is if there was a PRE timeline screen grab showing what the A/B roll diagram is illustrating. So, the timeline with Clips A and B, both with handles, on the same VT, and a transistion centered at the cut. Then some text indicating illustrations' corresponding transition duration, handle area, and increasing/decreasing transparency.

Message was edited by: Ed.Macke P.S. I would do it, but I'm afraid I'd get it wrong!! :)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to Ed.Macke

Ed,

I just added a new illustration. The upper Video Tracks in that example show how things would look with A-B Roll editing, and the Handles appear as overlaps. The lower Video Track shows how those same two Clips would look in PrE (editing with a single Video Track), with the Handles (overlaps) invisible.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Ed.Macke
    683 posts
    Mar 17, 2006
    Aug 3, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt, that's great!! Perfect! I think that really helps visualize what PRE is doing. Thanks for doing those tips - great info!

|
    Mark as:
  • Ed.Macke
    683 posts
    Mar 17, 2006
    Aug 3, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to rabbitd123

From Steve's post...

Bill Hunt has an excellent explanation of how transitions work in our Tips & Tricks forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/701768?tstart=60

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to Ed.Macke

No Ed, thank you for helping me make things better. The concept of Handles is a bit abstract, if one never did film, or A-B Roll editing. Once the concept has been grasped, it then becomes second nature.

I appreciate your taking the time to explain how to improve the article, and hope that it helps others.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points