Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

asymmetrical strokes

Jul 30, 2012 10:06 AM

Tags: #illustrator #path #stroke

Is it possible to create asymmetrically Stroke in Illustartor?

I have to make some maps, which later will still be decorated in Illustrator. I'm thinking of choosing the tool to work. I know I can create any patterns stroks, but this method in the case of maps is not easy to manage.

The most suitable method seems to me the option to impose on the path of many stroke using the transform palette in appearance.

The problem I have, however, is that the options do not work tranform the only path to the page.

Is there any extension that allows you to perform illustartora offset path eg - 1mm or 1% from the axis of the path?

path.png

Regards!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to MarioMari

You can use the width tool to offset your path in one direction.

You could also create brushes to make these lines.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to MarioMari

Mariusz,

There are different options, depending on the actual path, and version.

Especially in connexion with simple paths like the one to the right, or a slight offset as described, an Art Brush would be obvious.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to MarioMari

...any extension that allows you to...offset path...from the axis of the path?

Don't know what "axis of the path" means. If you mean parallel to the path, that's what Offset Path effect does.

All the examples shown in your post can be done with Pattern Brushes, Art Bushes, and/or multiple Appearances.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to MarioMari

Mariusz,

Brushes dislike corner points; sometimes you can get away with changing them to small roundings.

Offset Path creates symmetrical offsets for open paths; it is possible to Object>Expand Appearance and delete the unwanted parts by cutting at the relevant corners with the Scissors Tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to MarioMari

Not quite shure if I understand your problems with "creates a retraction symmetrically. How to make asymmetrical?"

Anyway - you can assign assymetrical lines to closed paths but not to lines. The offset path do however create a asymmetrical line in the sense that it is "paralell" to the first line

inside_outside_stroke.png

Menu: >Object >path >offet path

offset_path.png

Or perhaps this is a help? There are three lineson top of each other, cloned on to different layers to make it easier to edit

patterned_lines.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to MarioMari

You can sort of do it use two or more strokes and the width tool to alter one side of one or more of the strokes for an path make a graphic style of that path and apply to other paths

like such, it has limitations that I have not found a work around for and the axis is actually the center of the total width of the stroke.

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 12.57.54 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Sure you can do it if you set using also the gradient stroke tool and manipulating the gradient to be transparent on one end and bringing the two gradient stops to the same point.

Like this if you need a video I will make one.

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 1.22.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 1.24.59 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Isn't the forum fun?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to MarioMari

Let me think about it I think it works but I have to start from scrtch and only use thee gradient stroke. let's see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

So yousee it for yourself you are asking for geometry that is pprobably not going to happen anytime soon.

Maybe you can see why. In order for this to hapopen you need thick and thin strokes to join and that cannot happen.

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 2.02.50 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to MarioMari

Mariusz,

You are confusing Illy by asking her to Offset an open path. For a closed path + is outwards and - is inwards.

You do have the laborious option of expanding the appearance and cutting the offset path at the ends of the relevant part and delete the rest.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to MarioMari

I don't know if this addresses all your concerns, but simply to offset a repeating pattern from a path may be accomplished with a pattern brush.

1. Create the pattern to be repeated.

2. Drag pattern to Brushes panel, create pattern brush.

3. Drag the brush from the panel to the artboard.

4. At the top of the Layers panel you will find a Group that is the parts of that brush. Click the triangles to disclose all of those parts.

5. At the bottom of the list of those parts is a no-fill/no-stroke rectangle. Click to select it.

6. On the artboard drag that rectangle so that its center point is vertically aligned with where you want the path to be, relative to the brush pattern. Or transform/move the rectangle by the amount of the offset you want.

7. Select the entire brush, including the no-fill/no-stroke rectangle, and opt/alt-drag it onto the original brush in the Brushes panel to replace it, or just drag it to the panel to create a new brush.

8. Apply the brush to any path, and it will have the desired offset.

Offset brush.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 5:38 AM   in reply to MarioMari

It's a longshot, but there might be something HERE that would help you. At least (they say) it's aimed at cartography.

OB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points