Skip navigation

FrameMaker 10 not printing PDFs

Apr 14, 2011 2:59 PM

Latest reply: Niels Grundtvig Nielsen, Nov 23, 2012 12:55 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to Clint Owen

Believe it or not, I had the same problem with Frame10 and couldn’t create PDFs. The answer for me was to remove some of the fonts I didn’t use from the system Fonts directory.  I remembered a similar problem with Frame 6 or 7 (I have slept since then) years ago, and thought, “What the heck, I’ll try it!” It worked. Linda Hume

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to Artwitch01

Problem solved! The manual that I was working on had a small PDF inserted as a graphic on the master pages for the logo. When we replaced the logo with a TIF, everything now works fine! We have been using the same templates for at least 7 years with no problem, but some combination of the new software and hardware tripped us up. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Clint Owen | Sr. Technical Writer | Crane Aerospace & Electronics | +1 425 743 8674 | Fax: +1 425 743 8113

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 4:42 AM   in reply to Clint Owen

> ... had a small PDF inserted as a graphic on the master pages for the logo.

Hmmm. So Frame still has problem with PDF import at FM10?

(FM7 is highly unstable for that.)

> When we replaced the logo with a TIF, ...

If the logo was vector PDF, you might want to re-save the PDF as EPS, and import that (and preserve the vectorness of it). If you don't have Illustrator, I think Acrobat Pro can save a PDF as EPS.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 3:27 AM   in reply to Error7103

I have just upgraded to TCS 3.5 from TCS 2 on a Win 7 64 machine. Since I also have CS6 running, I deselected the Acrobat Pro installation (this is already installed).

I applied the 10.0.2 update and restarted the machine. But I can't get pdfs from Framemaker. I have tried Save As..., Save As PDF, Print to file (using Adobe PDF as printer) but still no result.

The Distiller appears briefly in the Windows taskbar but Frame doesn't seem to be communicating properly. Any ideas as to the solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to welshviking

Can you produce PDFs in any other apps or has your Acrobat install gone south? You may have to uninstall it & reinstall it again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 6:18 AM   in reply to Jeff_Coatsworth

I also had a similar problem when I installed Frame 10 as part of the TCS. After installing and reinstalling several times, I removed some of the fonts loaded on my system that I did not use. I have been able to create PDFs ever since using the Print | Print Adobe PDF command. Linda

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to welshviking

The root of our PDF printing problem was that we were using a small PDF as a referenced graphic for the logo on our master pages. After we replaced the logo with a TIF the problem was solved. I corresponded with another person who was using a PDF as a graphic that had the same problem.

HTH,

Clint

Clint Owen | Sr. Technical Writer | Crane Aerospace & Electronics | +1 425 743 8674 | Fax: +1 425 743 8113

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Artwitch01

Hi,

I am having a somewhat similar issue with Distiller crashing. I don't even have to attempt to create a PDF from FM 11; all I have to do is start acrodist.exe and it crashes upon startup. I recently installed TCS 4.0 (an update to 3.0) on a 32-bit Win 7 Pro system and did not replace my already installed version of Acrobat X Pro application (which was working fine prior to installing 4.0). Since Acrobat had not been upgraded, I chose to not install it.

Do you remember which fonts you deleted to get distiller to work?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to mandrill22

My issue was not with fonts. We installed the latest patch and replaced a problem PDF graphic and have had no trouble since.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to mandrill22

I'd make sure you've upgraded to the latest FM11 patch level (382 I think) & if that doesn't fix it, uninstall your Pro X, reinstall it again with the TCS 4 installer and then get the XI upgrade (see the TCS announcements for the link).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to mandrill22

I just cut several font families that I don’t use from my fonts directory. It seemed to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 11:54 PM   in reply to Artwitch01

Coming to this thread after it's been running for a while, because I've just moved to a new client with FM 10.0.2.419 on Windows 7. Neither Save as PDF nor the round-the-houses Print to PDF works. Forum postings seem to suggest this is an installation-specific bug, and best addressed by upgrading to FM 11 – "throwing good money after bad" is one saying that springs to mind!  Can anyone tell me how to set about diagnosing this problem, so I can hand over a maximum of information to IT – it's a closed PC, so up to them to chase Adobe Support and get solutions – and start delivering the work I'm paid for?  Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

If you are having problems with both Save as PDF and print to PDF, you

might have a messed up Acrobat installation. I know that Acrobat X has

given me enough fits on Windows 7 64-bit to almost make me an eX-Acrobat

user! Something, including updates, seems to break Acrobat X regularly.

The fix is to delete the Adobe PDF printer, then go into Control Panel

to where you uninstall programs and choose the repair option.

You might test to see if PDF creation is also broken when creating PDF

from non-FrameMaker programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

Are you using any PDFs as graphics? Specifically, PDF graphics which contain rastor images. We solved our original issue by replacing a PDF logo with a TIF version. Recently I imported some screen captures from a PDF of a Word document to use as graphics and the no-printing problem reared it's ugly head again. When I replaced the images with PNG versions everything worked again. PDFs that only contain vector and text data seem to work OK as imported graphics.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 11:46 PM   in reply to Mike Wickham

Thanks, Mike – I've forwarded your tip to IT, and we'll see what happens …

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 11:47 PM   in reply to Clint Owen

Thanks for the tip, but I'm only using .eps graphics. I'll bear in mind that using .pdfs with bitmaps might cause problems, if I ever get that far …

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

Niels,

Does this PC also have a full Acrobat installation? It's quite possible that if IT did the installation using the FM defaults, a copy of the PDFCreator add-on was also installed - which hoses the initial Acrobat Distiller installation. If a Repair operation from within Acrobat (Help > Repair) doesn't fix it, then you may have to re-install both Acrobat and FM making certain that the PDFCeator add-on isn't installed and that admin privileges (or account) are used to do the installation. Don't forget to then install all of the FM & Acrobat patches/updates in order of release.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 12:55 AM   in reply to Arnis Gubins

Forwarded to IT for their to-do list  Luckily, since I have the only FM licence, I can hope for a face-to-face visit rather than a remote installation script.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points