mikeengles
Currently Being Moderated

Detail slider in ACR6.7

Jul 31, 2012 1:09 PM

Hello

What exactly does this slider do?

I ask because I am using it with images from a  Canons 5D2 and 7D

It seems to have a very smooth sharpening effect to the detail with the 5D2,

With the 7D the effect is really very coarse and looks quite like one of the distortion filters like glass in Photoshop filters.

It is very noticable with the 7D particularly if masking as been used, where you see a mottling effect at the edges.

It is really bad for ISOs 400 and over on the 7D

Mike Engles

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to mikeengles

According to an older book written by Jeff Schewe, the detail adjustment controls the amount of halo suppression.  The higher the detail, the lower the amount of halo suppression.  He says to move between radius and detail, and then use amount as the last step for fine tuning.  Disclaimer!  This information came from a book about ACR with Photoshop CS3.  I don't think things have changed with regards to sharpening because I still work in the manner described.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to JimHess

JimHess wrote:

According to an older book written by Jeff Schewe, the detail adjustment controls the amount of halo suppression.  The higher the detail, the lower the amount of halo suppression.  He says to move between radius and detail, and then use amount as the last step for fine tuning.  Disclaimer!  This information came from a book about ACR with Photoshop CS3.  I don't think things have changed with regards to sharpening because I still work in the manner described.

The behavior of the detail slider has changed over the years and even Jeff Schewe is not certain of wehn these changes have taken place in newer versions. ACR 6.7 is the last version that works in CS5 and I am pretty certain that by that time moving the detail slider to the right invokes deconvolution sharpening. See this thread on the LuLa forum for additional details. ACR 7 has markedly improved rendering, and I think that alone would be worth upgrading to CS6. If one does not need the full functionality of CS6, Lightroom 4.1 is another way to obtain this improved functionality.

With the deconvolution sharpening in ACR, one has to be careful about the setting of the Amount slider. Excessive amounts produce marked artifacts.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=66158.0

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points