Skip navigation
crisadi96
Currently Being Moderated

System hiccups

Aug 2, 2012 3:37 AM

Tags: #problem #cs5 #help #hardware #premiere_pro #export #pc

Greetings everyone, and my most sincere apologies should this topic exist somewhere else.

I own a workstation-class computer, specifications are as follows:

Asus P9X79 (Not PRO)

Intel Core i7 3930-K (standard clock)

SSD Corsair ForceGT 120GB SATA3 for Operating System

2x Dual Channel 4x Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 16GB 1600 CL9 kits (32GB in total)

2x HDD Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM 32MB SATA3 (linked through RAID 0)

Noctua NH-D14

Asus GTX570 DirectCUII 1.28GB (standard clock)

OCZ 750w Power Supply (bronze certificate)

Zalman Z9 case

The problem lies in the fact that, every time I am working on Premiere Pro CS5 (1920x1080i AVCHD from my AG-AC160, as well as DV 720x576) the computer simply freezes randomly when working on the projects. In addition, the HDD activity LED lights up until the system is manually restarted. It is severely frustrating, but I have high hopes that the topic will provide answers to this mystery.

In case you were wondering, encoding times when making the DVD using Encore are 75% of the DVD's time, and for BluRay it is 100+, that is, if I am not using visual plugins for color grading, which would increase export times tenfold.

Looking forward to answers soon!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 3:45 AM   in reply to crisadi96

Can you attach links to your DXDIAG results and Piriform Speccy .XML results and show screenshots from Process Explorer?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 4:07 AM   in reply to crisadi96

Are you using the latest BIOS for your motherboard? 

What you are experiencing sounds just like my problems when I first built my 3930K system.  You must use a BIOS released after April to eliminate these random freezes.  The problem is related to memory (in)compatibility with the 3930K processor.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 4:56 AM   in reply to crisadi96

Thanks for the screenshots, but I meant the complete .txt and .xml files. The screenshots do not really help, apart from Process Explorer.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to crisadi96

Here is an example of a Speccy.xml file

The HTML code is: <a href="www.domain_name.domain_extension/directory/filename" target="new">Description</a>

target="new" causes the link to display in a new tab. You can leave that out if you want, but personally I prefer that addition.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to crisadi96

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

1. Update your video driver. You are running 296.10 and should be running 301.24 or 304.79
    2. What are you using the Samsung display for? With a resolution of 1360 x 768 it is not suited for PR work.
    3. Your disk setup should not cause problems, unless one of your raid0 arrays is getting finicky.
    4. Check your event viewer for possible raid problems and run CHKDSK at boot time to make sure the arrays are OK.

I hope the BIOS update was all that was needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to crisadi96

Glad the BIOS update worked for you!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to crisadi96

As Harm said the 768 pixel vertical resolution is not suitable for working with the Premiere GUI and could cause usability problems.  The minimum Premiere primary screen resoultion is 1280 x 900..

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points