Hi, I am a website designer and this part of my job feels out of my league.
My clients assigned me to convert a hard copy PDF into an electronic PDF document that can be filled out on the computer, saved, and then directly sent to the recipient.
I used the Adobe Designer feature on Acrobat 8 Professional to get me going. Due to the less than sophisticated style of the document I had to work with, it wouldn't create and convert the text boxes and fields for me automatically as it usually would.... so I had to set up everything manually by creating the boxes and naming the fields.
My manual set-up went smooth, I added my submit buttons and plugged in the e-mail addresses this document is to be sent to, and after running several tests, I keep getting this error message:
"An extension failed to initialize. Can't open file: extend.dat The file may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, or it may be open in another program. Right click the folder that contains the file, and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder. You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation."
Now what's strange is that the clients ran this document test themselves and were able to fill it out have it process, and then send it to the recipient's e-mail address. However, they came back to tell me that an XML file was bad...... no idea what that is..... Because they were at least able to send, I'm assuming they have Outlook express unlike me.
I am new to making these types of documents. I have no idea what this error message means, what the extension file is and where it can be located, or how it relates to how my document was created. Neither do I know what the XML file does or how data can appear clearly when an e-mail is received.
When I created this form into electronic format, I was under the impression that if someone were to fill out this document with Acrobat, save it, and then submit to e-mail, the entire filled out document would be sent out as a PDF of its own....... I'm hoping that can somehow happen, but obviously that isn't happening here.
Help and ideas.... Thanks.
There are several issues that come to mind. However, the biggest is the use of e-mail for this form. My comment on e-mail is due to what appears to be in the content of the e-mail that would not normally be acceptable for private information. If that is indeed the case, can the e-mail and submit to a web server. The latter can then be e-mailed locally if you really desire from a webmail script. You get around all of the problems with e-mail clients this way (and there are many problems that often crop up and are related to the client machine configuration).
It also appears that this would be used regularly and thus the number of submissions of the full PDF would violate the Adobe license. So you should submit the data (XML for Designer and FDF for Acrobat -- I suggest FDF). The data can be imported to the form through the forms>manage data interface in Acrobat.
If you want to try AcroForms, open the original PDF (not the one from Designer) and use Forms>Run Form Field Recognition. You can then use the forms edit in Acrobat rather than Designer. Again, I would suggest using the FDF data submission. You might try the e-mail submission here again, but I suspect it will fail as before. Generally this is a client setup issue on the e-mail package and the interface. With AA8 you have to use MAPI for the interface and this is problematic. I have some machines on which it will work and others that I have never been successful with. That is why I recommend avoiding e-mail for this use.
Also, be aware that MAC users using the MAC preview may have problems with the form and submission. That is just a heads up, but I am not a MAC user and can't say much more.
Europe, Middle East and Africa