Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash DRM support on Linux without hal

Jul 23, 2012 12:26 PM

Tags: #flash #linux #drm #fedora

Hello.

I'm maintainer of Fedora Linux and want find way see DRM protected content on it.

As most people known HAL is deprecated and was removed from Fedora - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HalRemoval and will from other distributions - Ubuntu - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy, Debian - http://wiki.debian.org/HALRemoval

As I need access to such content I'm wondering how I can do it without hal ressurection? I had googled, but found nothing usefull.

Replies
  • Hiroshi Okugawa
    139 posts
    Dec 21, 2009
    Aug 2, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to Hubbitus

Hi,

HAL is required for DRM feature on Linux.

And, we don't have any plan to change it now.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Thanks,

--

Hiroshi

|
    Mark as:
  • Hiroshi Okugawa
    139 posts
    Dec 21, 2009
    Aug 6, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Hubbitus

It is TBD. I can't say anything for now.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to Hubbitus

There's no further information than what Hiroshi has offered. 

For now, HAL is still required for Linux & DRM.

Stephen

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to Stephen D. [Adobe]

Very bad news.

I have upgraded my system (slackware 14) and I have no more access to some TV replay sites.

I searched on the net to understand and I have seen that I am not alone with this problem...

We are waiting for an upgrade of the flash plugin...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to Stephen D. [Adobe]

Adobe Linux users don't need, it's understandable. As if someone was better from what they apologized. HTML 5 hope to leave the world without Adobe Flash.. R.I.P.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to Abu Somagi

A technote was written about this some time ago.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/flash-player-11-problems-play ing.html

There is no further information regarding switching from the HAL requirement, but those users on Linux that install the HAL package can still use Flash and view protected content.  

As far as Slackware 14.0 (re: ecforum's post), according to my research, Slackware version 12.0 contained HAL.   Since I don't use Slackware personally, I can only assume now that HAL was removed from 14.0.

Believe it or not, we are Linux users too - and we continue to use Linux - so we understand the frustration of having to install this deprecated HAL package on newer distros of Linux, but for now it's necessary.    

Regards,

Stephen

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2014 9:01 AM   in reply to Stephen D. [Adobe]

It is now March 14, 2014. There has been no progress on this issue in a year and a half. HAL is not coming back. Functions have been merged into UDEV. If the functions needed are there now, why has Adobe not updated Flash to use UDEV instead of HAL? There has to be some way of allowing Linux users to view DRM restricted (I won't say protected as it is only a restriction to those of us who want to do things legally.) materials?

Also, I am requesting that Adobe reevaluate the decision to eliminate updates for the Flash player for Linux. While I appreciate the security updates, they are proving inadequate as content steamers such as Amazon use features of newer versions of the Flash player. If the Flash player for the Chrome browser can be up-to-date (currently 12.0), why can't the Flash player for Linux, both i686 and x86_64, be updated instead of being frozen at 11.2?

Is Adobe being paid by some organization to prevent any real updates to the Linux Flash player? It sure seems that way.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points