Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Keeping text and graphics on same layer

Aug 1, 2012 10:10 PM

Using CS4, I want to keep a logo (rasterized) with its caption (text) on the SAME LAYER....  I know I can LINK the 2 layers, so if one moves the other moves too, but how do I combine them without rasterizing the text? 

Thanks...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to Amikoe

You can’t, but you can Group them or convert them to a Smart Object (the text will then output as pixels, though).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to Amikoe

Hi Amikoe,

There is no way to combine the two layers without rasterizing the text. Is there a reason you want to do that?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Amikoe

This may have no relevance in this case but you could include text in images’ metadata (File > File Info).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Amikoe

Layers can also have XMP-metadata, but in your case that will hardly be useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to Amikoe

Is there a reason that grouping them doesn't do what you want? A layer group is much more powerful than linked layers, since you can treat both layers as one (such as moving, applying opacity, blend modes, a mask, and more to the whole group at once).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Amikoe

No, not just shift-selecting. You may want to learn about layer groups. Select two or more layers and choose Layer > Group Layers, and they will appear in the Layers panel inside a folder, just like organizing files within a folder on your computer desktop. When you do that, you can treat the folder (group) as a single entity. And yet, just like files inside folders on the desktop, the contents inside the layer group are still separate layers.

Linking layers is the way it used to be done years ago, but since Photoshop added layer groups those are much more useful now, and it sounds like it's what you might want.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 10:55 PM   in reply to Amikoe

Nobody reads post 1?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

I think your post was read, but the value of grouping wasn't recognized at that time. That's why I jumped in and asked why your grouping suggestion wasn't the answer, and it was only because Amikoe wasn't aware of how useful grouping is. I do notice that a lot of people who are used to older versions of Photoshop gravitate to linking and don't know about grouping. That was the case here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points