Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR 4.1, backup

Aug 2, 2012 9:52 AM

Hi

Background

LR has a backup routine that you can configure.

LR has a reference to each photo in its database - not the pictures itself.

Question

What is in the backup - the LR database (with the references) or the actual pictures?

Background cont

The reason I'm asking is that I have a pretty big bunch of picture data (approx 16-17 TB data distributed on 7 NAS servers). This is already under a welf unctioning backup routine. So if LR tries to handle to huge set of data - it would be hopeless and unnecessary.

But if backup in the LR world means backup of the database (with all the references etc) it would make good sense.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

All that LR backs up is the catalogue. It does some optimizations and integrity checks and then creates a straight copy of the catalogue to your backup directory. You are responsible for backing up your images through some other mechanism.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

If you were to look in your backup folder (as designated in your backup preferences) you would see that it only backs up the database or catalog (*.lrcat), which simply contains all of the adjustments you have made in Lightroom. It does NOT backup your images! Your other backup routine should be doing that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

I know of one person with over half a million images in a single catalogue, running fine. Backups do start to take a while with that size of catalogue, I hear.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

Sure. When LR asks your permission to run the backup, there's a button you can push to choose where to put it. Once you specify a location, that location will be used for all subsequent backups.

Lightroom Database-4 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Develop_2012-08-02_17-12-54.jpg

Hal

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points