Skip navigation
12mkimes
Currently Being Moderated

Signatures lost when emailing

Aug 2, 2012 6:38 PM

I am using reader for IPad, latest version.  I add text and signatures. When I go to email, all text and signatures are lost.  I've tried deleting original, and when I close and reopen, the text and signatures are there, they just disappear when emailing. Any thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to 12mkimes

What platform are you running (Mac or Windows)? What OS version? What PDF reader are you using to view the PDF you edited?

I just tested creating text and a signature in a PDF in Reader 10.3 for the iPad, and emailed it to myself. I can view it successfully both in Adobe Acrobat and in Preview on Mac OS X 10.7.4.

Here's a screen capture from Acrobat on the Mac of what I created in Reader 10.3.

Viewed in Acrobat.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 7:28 PM   in reply to 12mkimes

Sounds like you're doing the same thing as me, but you can see it worked for me. There has to be some difference, but it's not apparent to me. I'm also doing it on an iPad 3.

Can you test it on another file?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to 12mkimes

You are experiencing a bug in iOS. The PDF rendering that iOS natively includes does not fully handle the PDF specification, and will not show comments, form fields, or eSignatures. Both iOS Mail and Dropbox, as well as the Safari Browser use this to render PDFs that they encounter.

We have informed Apple of this problem, and let them know what they need to fix to resolve it, but they have not provided us any information on when or whether they will fix the issue..

Dennis Griffin

Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Dennis Griffin (Adobe)

Thanks, Dennis.

Viewers that don't rely on the iOS PDF rendering software—PDF Expert or Printer Pro (which I used to print the PDF with annotations)—don't have this problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points