Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Spacebar Shortcut: Hand Tool Showing But Not Working

May 15, 2012 2:44 PM

Tags: #photoshop #bugs #cs6 #spacebar #keyboard_shortcuts #hand_tool #functionality #hand_tool_keyboard_shortcut

Runing the CS6 trial on a Windows 7 Laptop (x64). I was in Photoshop (64), and noticed that when I held down the spacebar to pan the open image, the hand icon would show but the tool will not work. No matter how many times I click and drag, the image stays still. If I select the MANUALLY select the hand tool it works, but the spacebar shortcut key is non-functional. This issue persists across both the 32 & 64 bit versions of Photoshop.

Ideas? Help?

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,974 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 15, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to TheChexican

The only time I can think of when the Space bar won't pan, is when the image is zoomed to fit to screen or smaller, but you say things are OK if you select the Hand tool from the Tools panel. So it is getting into one of those unexplained situations where it is time to try resetting Photoshop's Preferences. Restart Photoshop, and immediately hold down Shift Ctrl Alt

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to TheChexican

For me, the hand doesn't even show (or work) when I hold the spacebar. This is true in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign CS6. I'm on a Mac running 10.7.4. This is very dissapointing as this is probably my most used shortcut.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to paulburd

There was a problem aired a year ago about a bug in Trackball mouse and Photoshop.  If memory seerves me corretly (and it does not always) believe it was holding the space bar and trying to move image. 

Would not work on several Window machines..

If using a track ball try a wired mouse.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to TheChexican

This seems to be a problem with the trackpad drivers for Vista and Win7. You can see this behavior on the Desktop: if you click-drag while holding the spacebar, the cursor doesn't move. Using an external USB mouse works fine - in Photoshop too.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to paulburd

Strangly, mine spontaniously started working shortly after writing my earlier comment. The only thing I did was close several webpages I had open (in Chrome). I can't imagine open web pages would prevent this functionality... but I can't really explain what happened.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to TheChexican

The Chrome (and I guess Firefox) problem was due to the Flash plugin. Once I disabled that, I got my space bar back in CS5.5. But now that I'm in CS6, the shortcut is not working no matter what browsers I close (even all of them). I will look into using a wired mouse but I'd really like to have both working together.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to KeyStudio

Hello:    I am using Photoshop CS6 and the spacebar will not function for me either.

I am creating a circle, duplicate the layer, then i select the subtract front shape ... after this i need to be able to use the spacebar to center my subtracting circle so thatt i end up w/a nice border.

I closed firefox but that didn't work and so then I restarted my computer w/out opening FF at all and still the spacebar will not work.

Rather than the hand icon appearing the only thing that changes is that the small black box that shows the height and width adds the x & y demensions.

Does anyone know if i need to turn something on or off in order to enable the spacebar?

Thank you for your time : )

Murph

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 12:40 AM   in reply to TheChexican

Hi everyone! I had a similiar problem in InDesign CS6 but I managed to solve the problem.

InDesign CS6

1) Edit -> Key Shortcuts

2) Select "Tools" in Product Area drop down menu

3) Select "Hand Tool"

4) Click the empty field of "New Shortcut"

5) Press spacebar and "Space" text automatically appears on this field.

6) You will be prompted to save default copy, and click Ok

7) You should be able to see the new entry "Default: Space" on the Current Shortcuts box.

8) Click "Default: H" and then press "Remove" button.

9) You are done. It should be working when you press spacebar and the screen moves.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andre

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to andrexng12

Andre, you're a life-saver! Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Hello guys!

I have a question too.  The Space bar won't pan when the image is smaller then the screen. Is this a bug or did they removed the feature with CS6?

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 30, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to BogdanStetco

Seems the same as CS5 to me.  Do you have the full screen mode and Application Frame settings the same as when you tried it in Photoshop CS5?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to BogdanStetco

BogdanStetco wrote:

Hello guys!

... The Space bar won't pan when the image is smaller then the screen ...

Welcome to the forum!

The pan works with images smaller than the window in "Full Screen Mode" and "Full Screen Mode With Menu Bar". Press F key to cycle through these modes and "Standard Screen Mode".

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to conroy

@Noel I am in Standard Screen Mode.

@Conroy Thank! I know that it works in both of full screen modes but I was wondering if it works the same way even in Standard Screen Mode.

Thank you guys!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 6:36 PM   in reply to BogdanStetco

I was wondering if it works the same way even in Standard Screen Mode.

No, not in CS6 or CS5.1 on a Mac. Is there a version that you remember it working in?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to conroy

If I'm not wrong it was working on CS5, if not definitely was working on CS3. Anyway thank you so much for your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 4:00 PM   in reply to TheChexican

I just installed Photoshop CS6 on a powerfull new computer (i7-3370K + 16GB) running Windows 7 x64. I have a Wacom Intuos 5 touch installed also. I am really ANGRY about the space bar pan feature which has been one of my favorite functions in CS5. In CS6 it works about half the time! Sometimes the hand tool never shows up when the spacebar is depressed.

Sometimes the hand tool shows up but there is no panning!!!

To continue what I want to do with a brush, I have to select the hand tool and use it to pan and then switch back to the brush!

This really stinks!!!

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 8:13 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I was having this issue while using my Wacom bamboo tablet.  I found a tip in a forum, to disable all of Windows touchscreen/touchpad features in the control panel and it worked like a charm. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to paulburd

Thanks paulburd, that fixed my problem. I have Photoshop CS6 on a Mac and my "spacebar" hand feature dissapeared completely. But then, I closed Chrome and it worked fine! I also run CodeKit, and I have this well linked with Chrome so I'm not sure if that was the issue, but closing Chrome totally did it! Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 4:59 AM   in reply to bobbylawless83

Same thing happens to me, sometimes I have to quit Chrome and the spacebar shortcut works again. I can even start up Chrome again and the shortcut continues to work.

Seems more related to Chrome running a lot of tabs or being open for a long time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to TheChexican

I had the same problem and fixed it by restarting my computer. I suspect it is caused by a conflicting program.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2013 3:49 AM   in reply to TheChexican

I had the same problem in Illustrator CC on OS X Mavericks. Closing Chome and Firefox didn't fix it, but quitting my upgraded install of Parallels Desktop 9 did. Just like that. I didn't even have to restart Illustrator. I'm not sure whether it was Parallels itself, the Windows 7 virtual machine, or the fact I had Windows open in Coherance mode, but there you go. Done.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to TheChexican

Hello,

When I was installed windows 8.1 a spacebar hand tool in Adobe's CC apps was blocked. I was tried everything which i seen on Adobe's forums but nothing was helped me to unblock that tool. I just can switch tool via "h" shortcout but it is quite annoying. I am looking for a professional advice from Adobe.

Regards

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 6:48 PM   in reply to TheChexican

After weeks of trying to sort this problem, we found the solution (in our case) was in the Dell Touchpad settings . . . turn off "TouchCheck" and all works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2014 6:41 PM   in reply to TheChexican

This issue drove me nuts and none of the suggestions in multiple threads helped (including shutting down all other applications, restarting and resetting preferences). I haven't managed to find a full solution to the problem but I did find a bit of a workaround which may help someone. I'm on Windows 8.1 BTW.  If I hold down the Alt key instead of the spacebar the hand icon "grabs" and allows me to drag the canvas around.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2014 2:13 AM   in reply to TheChexican

I've solved the problem by closing every other program running. Imidiatly the Hand Tool worked again.. Then when i Reopen the programs is sitll working,

Hope This Help!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,974 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Mar 31, 2014 2:22 AM   in reply to juana.cantiere

juana.cantiere wrote:

I've solved the problem by closing every other program running. Imidiatly the Hand Tool worked again.. Then when i Reopen the programs is sitll working,

Hope This Help!

Juana, thanks for your feedback.  It will help other folk sort out similar problems, but can you tell us what operating system you are running? As you can imagine.  it makes a difference.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points