Skip navigation
Marcon2012
Currently Being Moderated

text samples

Aug 1, 2012 11:11 AM

My PSE 10 program won't show me text samples when I hit the scroll bar.  Also when I hit the arrow to scroll the program jumps and says program is not responding.  I've tried exiting program, shutting down my computer, resetting tools, resetting preferences, and nothing is working. 

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Operating system?

     

    When you first select the Type tool(s), PSE has to query the system for a list of all installed fonts and then enumerate them.  This can take a while, so be patient.  You can improve performance by uninstalling any fonts you don't need.

     

    Ken

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Suggest that you do a system restore to a point in time when the scroll function worked.

    There have been reports of a missing scroll bar, and Adobe issued this tech note:

     

    http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/scroll-bar-missing-font-l ist.html

     

    However, the issue that you describe is different.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Have you tried using the up/down left/right arrow keys instead? (if you don't want to restore)

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Type some text, highlight it, and then move up to the menu and use the keys. You should be able to preview your actual text in each font.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Marcon2012 wrote:

     

    My problem is you can't see what the text looks like it just lists the name.  It will let me use the arrow keys but only gives me the names not the sample list like it used to . 

     

     

    Do you see anything like this (click on the image to get magnification):

     

    2012-08-02_0305.png

     

    If not then your PSE is broken and so it will need to be repaired.  Can you post a picture of what exactly do you see on the screen and a brief instructions as to how you are getting it or what exactly are you trying to do.

     

    Hope to hearing from you soon.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 4:08 AM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Have you done a virus scan?

    Did you do a system restore?

    Also, when you use (e.g.) WORD, can you visualize the fonts normally?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 6:15 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Marcon2012 wrote:

     

    Did a virus scan last night.  Did a system restore this morning.  Finally just uninstalled the program and reinstalled it and it is STILL doing this!  I'm guessing it is something with my computer? I got into WORD and it me see the fonts fine.  What else can I do?

     

    Reinstalling an Adobe Application does not solve any problems unless, of course, some files have deleted.  In your case, the problem seems to be the preferences and the only way I can think this "could be solved" is by resetting the preferences to defaults.  The best way to do is this:

     

    <http://tinyurl.com/cldqqq5>

     

    The above link goes to Adobe official website just in case people want to know before clicking on it.

     

    Basically what it says is this (for Windows systems):

     

     

    Step 1. Hold down the Alt + Ctrl + Shift keys as you click on the icon to open Elements. When asked if you want to delete the settings file, say yes.

    Step 2. Reset the preferences as above.

    Step 3. Close Elements and let the file regenerate.

    I hope this resolves the problems once and for all.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

    If the above method is difficult to implement, then try this:

     

    Edit >> Preferences >> General  (or just CTRL+K)

     

    Now look for a box like this:

     

    2012-08-03_0304.png

     

    Look at the red Framed box that says "Reset Default Settings".  Click on it and then move to the next item on the list. say Files and do the same and so on and on until you reset everything.

     

    Then click OK. Close the program and restart the system to get everything back to normal.  It should now back to NEW installation or very near to it and everything should work.

     

    Good luck.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    You never answered this question, so I'll ask it again:

    What operating system are your using?  Be specific.

     

    How much RAM is installed on your computer?

     

    How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

     

    Did this ever work?

     

    Ken

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Marcon2012 wrote:

     

    I am starting to get discouraged!  Resetting the preferences did not help.  The jumping and the message at the top that photoshop is not responding, it almost seems like it tries to fix itself but can't.  Is is possible it can just fix itself because I am running out of patience!

     

    To reset did take some time on my machine (about 3 minutes) so this time may be normal.  However, if you want to take a risk then your best option is to uninstall PSE using CCleaner and to clean the Registry entries where all the preferences are stored.  However, I don't normally recommend this method because if a wrong Registry Entry is deleted, then the entire system might be rendered useless.

     

    Also, before using this method, you will need to DE-ACTIVATE your product online so that you can activate again without being called a thief by Adobe.  Adobe don't like people using one copy for 10 different machines to run a tutorial class.

     

    CCleaner can be downloaded from here:

     

    <http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim>

     

    If you want the instructions how to use CCleaner safely then post back otherwise forget everything said above.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

    AdvertisingSpamUK,

     

    1. There's no need to use CCleaner when uninstalling PSE.
    2. "All the preferences" are not stored in the registry.
    3. One does not need to de-activate PSE before re-installing on the same computer when the hard drive and motherboard are not replaced.

     

    It's all well and good that you want to be helpful, but first learn how things really work before posting suggestions.

     

    Ken

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Marcon2012,

     

    Do your really have only 2Gb of RAM?

     

    If so, that would seem to be the root of the problem.  Although Win7 does an excellent job of managing memory, 2Gb these days is less than optimal.

     

    I understand that PSE used to display the text samples, so the question becomes "What's changed since the last time it worked?"  Have you installed other programs that might have automatically installed fonts?  Have you made any other changes to your system, such as installing or upgrading hardware or drivers?

     

    Since you've already tried resetting the text tool and resetting the PSE Preferences, about all I can suggest is to run a full system scan with a good anti-virus program, and making sure that you're not running any other applications in the background when you use PSE.

     

    Ken

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to photodrawken

     

    It's all well and good that you want to be helpful, but first learn how things really work before posting suggestions.

     

     

    I have tried to uninstall the PSE before I posted my reply and guess what?  The preferences were not cleared.  Using Ccleaner cleared everything and reinstalled PSE again.  However, Activation became a problem because Adobe servers thought this was a 3rd installation.  I had to phone them to tell them that I was simply testing something before posting on Adobe Forums.  They activated it for me straight away and told me to de-activate before uninstalling the product.  For failed systems, de-activation may not be an issue but you still need to phone them.  You don't want to get into the phone method unless you are pretty good at listening and typing at the same time.  It is a nightmare.

     

     

    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling when you posted a reply to my message.  If not then you will should and you could learn something new.

     

    Good bye.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 8:47 PM   in reply to photodrawken

    photodrawken wrote:

     

    Marcon2012,

     

    Do your really have only 2Gb of RAM?

     

    If so, that would seem to be the root of the problem.  Although Win7 does an excellent job of managing memory, 2Gb these days is less than optimal.

     

     

    Again complete and utter rubbish.  I am running Windows 7 Professional with 2GB of RAM and I don't have any problems what-so-ever.  You haven't run a system that has been upgraded from Windows XP right?  Windows XP was fine on 2GB RAM and some of us have upgraded to Windows 7.  Our systems can't be upgraded any more because they are very old and reached the RAM capacity.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 9:32 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

    mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

     

    I have tried to uninstall the PSE before I posted my reply and guess what?  The preferences were not cleared.

    Of course they weren't.  By definition, user-created preferences are never obliterated by a program's uninstaller because they are created by the user and not by the installation program.  The PSE Preferences are reset by using the Ctrl+Alt+Shift method when launching the Editor.  They are not stored in the registry.  Learn how things work!

     

    Ken

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 9:40 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

    mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

     

    I am running Windows 7 Professional with 2GB of RAM and I don't have any problems what-so-ever.

    Nice job of responding to a statement that was never made.  Read what I wrote and use a dictionary to gain an understanding of what the phrase "less than optimal" means....

     

    Ken

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 9:54 PM   in reply to photodrawken

    Of course they weren't.  By definition, user-created preferences are never obliterated by a program's uninstaller because they are created by the user and not by the installation program.  The PSE Preferences are reset by using the Ctrl+Alt+Shift method when launching the Editor.  They are not stored in the registry.  Learn how things work!

     

     

    You seem to know a lot of crap.  This being the case, why don't you tell us all where exactly are these preferences stored on the hard disk which can be simply obliterated with windows explorer.  Please teach us all with your wisdom.  You have clkaerly grown with PSE since version 1 while some of us have just started using them.

     

    CTRL+ALt+Shift hasn't worked for him so you are wrong here again.  See my message 13 above and it didn't work.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 9:51 PM   in reply to photodrawken

    photodrawken wrote:

     

    mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

     

    I am running Windows 7 Professional with 2GB of RAM and I don't have any problems what-so-ever.

    Nice job of responding to a statement that was never made.  Read what I wrote and use a dictionary to gain an understanding of what the phrase "less than optimal" means....

     

     

    If something is less than optimal than how come I don't have the trouble like Marcon2012 has?  His installation has been crippled completely because he doesn't see exactly what I am seeing in PSE10 using almost the same OS and setup.  He has also uninstalled and reinstalled and still the problem is still there.  Why don't you just tell him which file he could delete so that re-installation can solve his problem.  You are not helpful here are you?  you are just attacking people who are trying to help others. 

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 12:06 AM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

    mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

     

    You seem to know a lot of crap.

    Now, now, just because you've often been wrong is no reason to get upset.

     

    mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

     

    why don't you tell us all where exactly are these preferences stored on the hard disk which can be simply obliterated with windows explorer.

    Well, gosh, they're right here in the hidden directory:

    "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\10.0\Editor\Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Prefs.psp"

     

    Elementary, if you know how things work....

     

     

    mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

     

    Please teach us all with your wisdom.

    I have been, and have just done it again!

     

     

    mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

     

    CTRL+ALt+Shift hasn't worked for him so you are wrong here again.

    I don't think so -- if you read the original post, you'll see that the preferences were reset, but that did not solve the problem.

     

    Ken

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 10:53 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

    mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

     

    If something is less than optimal than how come I don't have the trouble like Marcon2012 has? 

    Ummm...because your systems and installed programs are different?

     

     

    mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

     

    Why don't you just tell him which file he could delete so that re-installation can solve his problem.

    Ummm...because there's no "one file" to delete and because re-installing won't solve the problem?

     

    I get it!  Those were trick questions!

     

    Ken

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Yes, glad that we are past the exercise in polemics.

     

    This is reference to system requirements for PSEv.10:

     

    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/tech-specs.html

     

    Let us know how you make out with system restore. Hope that the intervention with "Fix Cleaner"

    did not damage the registry.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Marcon2012

    There is always the possibility that FixCleaner might have caused a problem with the fonts.  I don't know that product, so I can't comment on it, but if PSE once worked OK and now doesn't, you have to consider that changes to your system are at fault.

     

    I think you're right about doing a system restore and then a virus scan.  Hopefully that will get you back to normal.

     

    Ken

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to photodrawken
     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to hatstead

    Yep, good advice.

     

    Ken

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    There must have been a stimulus for your husband to run FixCleaner.

    Suggest that you check with a reputable computer shop re the operability of your machine.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Something else to try:

     

    In the photoshop elements editor go to edit>Preferences>Type and uncheck Font Preview Size.

    Then restart elements and see if that makes a difference.

     

     

    Untitled-1.png

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to photodrawken

    You are looking more like a muppet now.

     

     

    Ummm...because your systems and installed programs are different?

     

     

     

     

    Since when are installed programs a hindrance to a proper functioning of a computer?  One can install almost any programs they want provided they don't try to run them on a system that has not met the minimum requirements.  Installed programs are dead as a duck if not launched to use them.  You can use a system as a storage but they don't affect anything.

     

     

    because there's no "one file" to delete and because re-installing won't solve the problem?

     

    Well in that case mention all the files to fix this once and for all.  I have done clean installs of Adobe Programs umpteen times and have always experienced massive improvements.  so you are just spouting something you know absolutely nothing about.

     

    Read my last message on this topic which tries to solve this.  If that doesn't wort#rk then clearly Marcon2012 will have to do a clean install of the operating system and all the programs he is using.  At least he has to avoid nutters like you around here.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Marco,

     

    It looks like the problem is beyond repair using normal techniques.  The only way out is to do a clean install of the operating system and start all over again.  However, this may be very daunting for you if you haven't done it before.  Perhaps your OEM guy can send you the instructions how to reset the system to factory settings to get you going.  Most systems in Windows 7 come with a hidden folder in which factory level OS image file is saved.

     

    You could try one more option to see if it works. 

     

    Launch your Windows Explorer and go to:

     

    <C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements>

     

    You will see a folder called 10.0.  I suggest rename it to "10.0(old)" and then log-off from the system and then restart the system for changes to take effect.  Launch your PSE10 and see if it creates all the folders again.  If they don't, you can rename that folder back to what it was i.e. delete (old) and you are in the same position as before.

     

    As I said, I haven't tried this and I can't try it because I have al;ready phoned the Adobe yesterday and I don't thing they will be happy if I have to phone them again to get my PSE back again.  Your case is different because you are going to do a clean install anyway so you have nothing to lose as far as I can see.

     

    Good luck and hope this is resolved soon.  I don't have any other ideas on this.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2012 12:26 AM   in reply to Marcon2012

    Hi Marcon,

     

    From the description it seems that you PSE font files might have get corrupted. If you are still facing the issue then this might help.

     

    1. Go to "C:\Users\[USERNAME\AppData\Local\Adobe" and delete the TypeSupport folder in it.

    2. Go to  "C:\Users\slohia\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\" and delete the 10.0 folder.

    3. Relaunch PSE10.

     

    See this time if the issue gets resolved.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points