Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR 4 is Slow

Aug 3, 2012 7:04 AM

Since upgrading from LR 3 to LR 4 a few months ago, I see a definite slow down.  I see it on my laptop, which runs W7, 64 bit.  I see it on my desktop, running Vista, 32 bit.  I have all software, LR and OS, updated to latest versions.

I have seen many other posts about this issue and will go through some to see if there is something I can do.  But it is frustrating.  I've been noticing that in the Develop module, if I switch back and forth in the History, to compare various images in various stages of edits, the display sometimes does not update (or is taking too slow that I just get frustrated and don't want to wait any longer). 

There is also a very noticeable increase in the amount of time it takes to backup the catalog when I exit out of LR.  It took some time before (the catalog size is about 800 Mb right now), but it really is slow, now, to update.  I think it was going on 20 minutes yesterday when I exited LR and told it to backup the catalog. 

Someone posted that he thinks it might have to do with NEF files.....he said converting to DNG made things run more quickly.  Maybe this is part of the problem, but I will not convert my files to DNG.

Just wanted to add to the list of those who have seen a noticeable slowdown with LR 4.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to Judge62

LR4 has to do a lot more processing in Develop with PV 2012, than LR3 did with PV2010. Is it still slower if you stick with PV 2010 in LR4?

It also helps if you turn off some screen stuff that has to be updated with each change in Develop, such as the Navigator view, the filmstrip, the histogram, and a second monitor. If some of these are not essential to you, turning them off should reduce the load and speed things up. I never use the Navigator, and rarely use the filmstrip, so I have these turned off.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to Judge62

That's an interesting find. I wonder how many people have auto backup systems in place? I even turn off System Restore on my Win7x64, to stop auto backing up of changed system files. Is that the equivalent of Time Machine on Macs? I also don't use xmps, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't have them on autowrite - many people have found that this slows things down. I backup my catalog each time I shut down LR to an internal HDD. The catalog is now 1.5GB and integrity checking, backup, and optimize catalog only take 3 minutes! It is a fast machine, and to an internal HDD, so your backup is 7 times slower! A lot of that will be because of your external drive. I backup everything on my computer to external drives, but only now and again and usually leave it overnight.

If you haven't got a SSD for your system drive, save up for one. LR does a lot of writing to temp files on your system drive, and that will be a lot slower on an HDD than on a SSD. I also have another SSD for my catalog and previews, with my images on another internal HDD. So that is two SSDs, one for system and one for catalog/previews, and two internal HDDs, one for images and one for backups. Maybe that is a bit OTT, but it works nicely!

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points