Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flag master page items overrides?

Jul 31, 2012 6:10 AM

Say for example you have an item on a master page, and you make a change to that item - then on page 521 or something that item was overridden at some stage and is no longer linked to the master.

Anyway to flag or find items like this?

Replies
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 31, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

With scripting you can find out if a  page item is an  overridden master page item, but I don't think there's a way to find out if it has been overridden then detached via Pages panel>Master Pages>Detach Selection from Master, because then it is no different than an item you create directly on a page.

It would be relatively easy to make a script that lists all overridden master page items and where they are.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 1:16 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Here's a thought. This might have some holes in it, so please spot them if you can, so nobody does this if it doesn't really work.

Suppose you move all of the master-page items to the pasteboard of the master page. Those items will not appear on the pasteboards of the document pages, so they will essentially have disappeared. If you look at the document pages and see any master-page items, you can assume that they have been changed. When you are done identifying those changes, you can move the items back from the master-page pasteboards to the live area of the master page, and everything will be back to the way you had it before you started.

What do you think?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to Michael Gianino

Michael, Here's a potential hole, too.

When you override a master item it retains a link to the original until you change some attribute, like fill color, but unchanged attributes will still be linked. If you override, but don't change the position, I think the overridden object would still move to the pasteboard even though it's now flourescent orange instead of robin's egg blue. Not sure exactly what Eugene is looking for in terms of overrides to locate, but I don't think this is going to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Yeah, I think if there's any hope for that it's over in scripting...

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 1, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

There's a difference between an overidden master page item and a master page item that's been overridden and then detached via Pages panel>Master Pages>Detach Selection.

This AppleScript displays a list of all overridden master page items in a document:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/GetOverridden.zip

Screen shot 2012-08-01 at 9.44.34 AM.png

There's no way to find detached items because they have the same attributes as any other page item.

A master page item could be overridden and not be changed in anyway and it would still respond to any change from the master. A more complex script could compare the overridden item with its master and determine if any properties have been changed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

…I think the overridden object would still move to the pasteboard…

That's true, but you will only see that item on the pasteboard for pages that are overridden. Other pages won't have the item on the pasteboard, so you will know that they have not.

If this can be done with a script, then there's no need for my little trick, but in the absense of a script, this does work, albeit with a careful look over the pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 1:14 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

That's cool. I'd want that too.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 4:54 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

I've wrote short script to tag overridden master page items with custom XML tag.

It also works with anchored items, and have statistics at the end of the script.

Script can be found here:

tomaxxiMARK-UP 1.0d on http://tomaxxi.com/downloads

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

http://tomaxxi.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Glad it works good for you!

Eugene Tyson wrote:

You also need to turn on View>Structure>Show Tagged Frames

The thing is that script already does that!

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

My script is found here forums.adobe.com/thread/1042604?tstart=0Flag master page items overrides?

It can be added to the end of Marijan's script or run after it or run by itself.

The script displays a panel that list all the overridden items and moves to them when you click on the item.

This is a lot easier than using the Structure method

Also can produce a document report of all the overrides.

Enjoy

Trevor

ScreenShot050.pngScreenShot049.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points