Skip navigation
JhonHoffman
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with importing video

Aug 3, 2012 4:07 AM

Hi !

I'm using Premiere Elements 10, over win XP sp3.

I started editing video about a month ago to create family video and it woked perfectly,

last week, i captured a 16 minute long video from a panasonic mini dv camcorder using windows movie maker (i don't have a firewire card, and it worked fine over USB cable)

the movie is 16 minutes long, and weighs about 3.5 GB.

when I import ir to PE it says its 2 hours long and 16 minutes, and it dosent show any video, the sound does work.

the video works well on any other player, including the organizer, which comes with PE.

i read the help here and couldt find anything more than looking with G spot, and re-installing PE and K Lite Codec Pack 9 full, nothing worked so far...

http://i49.tinypic.com/286yatx.jpg

print screen of h2:16:24  in PE :

http://i46.tinypic.com/wkh54h.jpg

how can i make it work ?

Thank you !

Jhon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 4:53 AM   in reply to JhonHoffman

The good news is that you're using the perfect camcorder for interfacing with Premiere Elements, a tape based miniDV cam.

The bad news is that you captured over a USB connection.

If you capture your video over a DV connection, your video should import like a charm. In fact, you'll be able to do the capture right in Premiere Elements rather than having to do it with MovieMaker!

If that's not available, you'll need to convert the Type 1 AVI (which MovieMaker creates)to a Type 2 AVI. You can do that pretty simply -- though it is a pain to have to do it every time you capture video. Just download the free program Virtual Dub (from virtualdub.org), open your AVI in it and do a Save As to create a new AVI. The new AVI should load perfectly into Premiere Elements.

Though, if it were me, I'd spend $5 on a FireWire cable instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to JhonHoffman

If you add a FireWire card/connection, you can Capture directly into PrE.

As you will be inserting 720 x 480 SD material into 1920 x 1080 HD Project, there WILL be a quality loss, as the SD material is up-rezzed, i.e. you will be creating a lot of pixels, where none exist.

Some users have found that Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD does a good job at up-rezzing SD material, but some have not been satisfied. I would download and experiment with the trial: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-instant-hd/

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to JhonHoffman

>capture it again over a FireWire cable, can you recommend on a capturing software

Press F1 for help and search for firewire

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to JhonHoffman

I suggest uninstalling K-Lite and reinstalling PRE to see if this makes any difference. Others have reported that some Codec packs replace the default codecs PRE expects.

You should be able to capture directly to PRE over USB using File> Get Media from>  Files and Folders - although I go along with Steve, $15 should get you a FireWire card and cable and you'll be guaranteed the best quality input. e.g kit (card and cable)  for £10.00.

If your camcorder settings allow you to select MTP mode for your USB connection you could import the clip using the Elements Organizer:  File> Get Photos and Videos> From Camera or Card Reader. Your camcorder should show as a device. In my example both my DSLR (photo capability only) and my Compact (photo and video) show as valid camera devices over USB.

1.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to nealeh

Neale,

I had missed the reference to K-Lite. While some like it, I am not a fan. Besides overwriting some commercial CODEC's, it can install other "stuff," like FFDShow, which has caused major problems on some users' systems, with regard to Adobe programs.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I had a video file that was recognised only as sound in PRE10 on Windows 7 64-bit. Adobe told me to install 64-bit FFDShow as W7-64 does not have a native 64-bit Direct Show filter. It worked for me.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to nealeh

I remember your reporting on that.

With Premiere Pro, FFDShow has messed many things up badly, but in your case (and several other users), it FIXED things. That gave me pause, as I had a very bad impression of FFDShow. Guess like some medications - it works for some, but kills others... Your experiences altered my normal comment - "get rid of FFDShow and really clean your system." I do not say that anymore, but do keep my distance from FFDShow, especially as I have several installations of Premiere Pro, and do not want to fritz those.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

ffdshow has a blacklist function. You can add a program to this list if you do not want ffdshow to be used by that program. Premiere is already on its default blacklist.

Look in its options under "directshow control".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points