Skip navigation
roweder93
Currently Being Moderated

Rendering quality always lower than original video

Aug 3, 2012 10:15 AM

Tags: #problem #video #render #quality #problems #premiere_elements_10 #match #render_wmv #render_mov

I have some footage that I recorded with my Contour Roam HD Camera and I have edited it in Adobe Premiere Elements 10.0, but every time I render the video that I've edited, the footage comes out at a reduced quality.  I can visibly see that it is reduced because I can see squares that make the footage appear pixelated and these squares do not appear in the original video file.  The recorded video file is 1.16GB in size and it is 14 minutes long.  The video I am trying to render is only 4 minutes long so it should only be about 300-400MB in size.  I have tried using multiple different presets and I have used windows media presets with Nikon D3100 and D3200 HD videos and they seem to render with the same clarity that they started with.  Using windows media presets with the Contour Roam, I have been entirely unable to achieve a quality equal to it's original quality.  I have created multiple custom presets with the bandwidth settings turned all the way up and the closest I was able to get to the original quality was a video that had smaller squares but was 3.0gb in size.  I've downloaded two hour long HD videos from itunes that were 3.0gb in size, why on earth would my 4 minute video be 3.0gb and still not match its original quality? 

So bottom line, I need to find out how to render videos at their original quality, or what settings/custom preset will allow me to create this video in a .wmv or .MOV file that is perfectly clear and not 3.0gb at 4 minutes long? 

Thank you

-Derek

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to roweder93

Derek,

What are the specs. of the files from that camera? G-Spot, or MediaInfo will give you those specs.

Once we know the specs. of those Source Files, it would be useful to know how you plan to use, or deliver the output files from your Timeline. That will determine which Share Preset you should use.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to roweder93

OK, you have AVCHD (the H.264 CODEC in the MP4 wrapper), and your Project's Preset should match that.

Now, how do you plan to deliver the output material?

While the H.264 CODEC is a good one, it is highly compressed. The fewer compression steps, the better, as each will toss out data, degrading the final file.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to roweder93

That is exactly what I meant by delivery. It could have been as an intermediate file for later editing, as a BD, or DVD, or for an iPod/iPad, or YouTube. For YouTube, I would look to this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

That is exactly what I meant by delivery. It could have been as an intermediate file for later editing, as a BD, or DVD, or for an iPod/iPad, or YouTube. For YouTube, I would look to this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

Bill,

With due respect, your link is misleading for owners of PrE10.  Steve G wrote that over a year ago for PrE versions 4, 7 and 8.  He did not mention versions 9 or 10.

My limited experience is that version 10 has two good choices for YouTube when the shooter is taking AVCHD video to start.

Choice one is Share>Online>YouTube and then through some title, taging and log in screens. 

I prefer Choice two that is Share>Computer>AVCHD>Presets drop down menu to "YouTube Widescreen HD" and Save to a temporay folder location.  Then use the YouTube uploader where YouTube will convert the PrE10 optimized file for display.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to whsprague

Perhaps it's time for you to get with Steve, and update the FAQ Entry.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points