Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you get video to automatically rewind to start once it has been played in an interactive pdf?

Aug 2, 2012 6:34 PM

I'm pretty new to this adventure in the Indesign Jungle. I've set up a video. This video is exported to an interactive pdf. When a user clickes on the interactive pdf, the video plays to the end and stops on the ending black fade out rectangle.

As it stands now, the video fades to black and the black rectangle stays on the screen. The video doesn't show the opening image.

I'd like the video to go back to the beginning of the video and display the starting video image.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thank you for any help that you are willing to offer. I've searched around the internet, watched a few You Tube videos regarding the media panel, but nothing seems to deal with how to get the video back to the start once a user has played it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 12:45 AM   in reply to Rachel_:-)

The default SWF video player widget inserted into a PDF does not support looping playback, and there's no way to change that from inside InDesign - you need to change the widget.

We have a free replacement version that natively supports looping, and can be used in Acrobat 9+ and InDesign CS5+. To install it, extract the VideoPlayer.swf file to the following location(s), keeping the existing ones as a backup:

• For Acrobat, put it in Program Files(x86)/Adobe/Acrobat x/Acrobat/Multimedia Skins/Players
    • For InDesign, put it in Program Files(x86)/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CSx/Presets/multimedia

where 'x' is your installed version number.

Place your video as before and export to PDF, and the widget will be used instead of the default non-looping version. It has a bunch of other advanced features you can control inside Acrobat using scripts, once the PDF has been exported.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Rachel_:-)

By default it'll loop continually (i.e. it plays, rewinds and carries on playing). If you want it to do something different you can set some of the parameters by adding a JavaScript function to the PDF that listens for events broadcast by the widget - documentation is on the widget's web page.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 4:10 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Is it possible to use this so the video "rewinds" at the end but doesn't play until the next user clicks on to the page (in essence, so it loads and plays each time the page is loaded?)

I've just answered my own question.... Yes you can..

Great little widget, thanks alot

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points