Skip navigation
LesToil
Currently Being Moderated

Using shift key to extend line or paint stroke

Aug 2, 2012 10:58 PM

Hello all. I've been using a very old version of Photoshop for the last 10 years and I'm used to using the shift key to extend a line or paint stroke. By that I mean,  I use the paint tool to make a dot and then hold down the shift key and make another dot elsewhere and that creates a straight line. I just purchased CS6 and that function doesn't  seem to be happening. Is this something I need to activate in a preference?

Thanks very much for any and all help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 11:05 PM   in reply to LesToil

The function still applies but you may have chosen a Brush Preset with a Pressure sensitive Shape Dynamics (or other) property.

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to LesToil

What are the Transfer settings? Any pressure or fade?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 1:07 AM   in reply to LesToil

Which Tool do you use and what is checked in the Options Bar (»Always use pressure for size …« for example)?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 3, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to LesToil

There's something strange going on here...

Like you, I have always relied on Shift giving me straight strokes from last point to current point.  However, I just tried it with the setting both ways and in both cases it worked.

Click this to see an animation...

PressureSettingAnimation.gif

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 4, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to LesToil

I don't have a tablet, so pressure sensitivity makes no sense for me.   I assume you have one, which may explain the difference in operation.

I use IrfanView, set to capture the display every 5 seconds and save the results in a PNG file, then methodically work through examples.  When done, I load all the saved images into a stack and make a frame animation in Photoshop.  It's not too difficult once gone through a few times.  Most folks might suggest getting a desktop video recording tool, though, like Camtasia or Captivator.  With a video you get smoother motion and you can narrate.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to LesToil

It works here on windows 8 using a wacom tablet with cs6, even with the override buttons enabled.

Have you updated the tablet driver to the latest version?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points