Skip navigation
ktgw
Currently Being Moderated

Develop sliders respond really slow

Aug 3, 2012 9:37 AM

Tags: #slow #lightroom_4 #development_module

Hi,

Lately I've upgraded my lightroom from 3.6 to 4.1.

Lightroom works fine, and the only problem I'm having right now are the develop module sliders.

It take about 1 - 1.5 seconds before I can see the change being applied on the image (for example, changes such as exposure, contrast

or brightness etc...). The funny thing is that while changing development settings, the CPU does not goes beyond 50& load.

My system is running with 8GB of memory and a core i5 CPU.

Lightroom is installed on an SSD drive and the catalog file is located on the same SSD drive as well.

The SSD drive has a lot of space free (at least 10 GB).

I'm using a Dell U2711 monitor (native resolution 2560x1440).

The most interesting thing is that if I adjust lightroom window size, then the development sliders work very fast.

So I thought it has to do with the screen size. I opened the same image in Photoshop CS5, and tried to adjust

the contrast, brightness, colors, levels and many other changes, while Photoshop was open on a full screen, and it worked

perfectly! which made me to conclude that the problem is specifically in Lightroom (I installed Lightroom 4.1 in the same day I got my

Dell U2711 monitor, and didn't made the test with previous versions of Lightroom).

I also thought maybe because Photoshop is a more professional software, it worked very fast, but after I realized it worked very fast with Picasa and ACDSEE pro, I knew it is only the Lightroom.

I've read many articles about how to optimize lightroom and did all what I could, but nothing solved my problem.

It is really frustrating to work with Lightroom 4.1 comparing to the previous version or other software.

Any solutions?

Anyone is having the same problem as I have?

(I've read that Lightroom 4.1 is generally works slow, but in my case, Lightroom works fine, and I'm having a problem only with

the updates in the development module).

Thanks.

Replies
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,391 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to ktgw

ktgw wrote:

Anyone is having the same problem as I have?

Seems many are reporting this and I find the same sluggish response you describe. Seems like an excuse for me to buy a faster machine <g>.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

Or could it be just a faster graphics card is required to cope with the large monitor?

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to ktgw

ktgw wrote:

Hi,

My system is running with 8GB of memory and a core i5 CPU.

Lightroom is installed on an SSD drive and the catalog file is located on the same SSD drive as well.

The SSD drive has a lot of space free (at least 10 GB).

I'm using a Dell U2711 monitor (native resolution 2560x1440).

The most interesting thing is that if I adjust lightroom window size, then the development sliders work very fast.

LR is a non-destructive editor that never writes or changes the original file. PS is a destructive pixel editor that also caches multiple copies of the edited file in memory to speedup "undo" image building. PS4-6 supports Open GL, which uses the graphics processor for processing certain image views (Rotate, 3D, etc.). LR and PS work entirely differently concerning onscreen image building, and LR benefits very little by increasing graphics card performance.

A faster system processor will make LR more responsive with a high resolution display, but simply keeping the Loupe image smaller when adjusting sliders in the Develop module will do the same thing. My system is only slightly higher performance (i7-280, 12GB) and I have no issues. BUT my monitor is 1920 x 1080 (~2Mp) versus 2560 x 1440 (~3.7Mp). Your processor needs to build almost twice (2x) the number of pixels every time you make a change in the Develop module. If my i7 system performance is about 1.5x your i5 system, then screen response time will be almost three times faster ( .3 to .5 Sec. versus 1.0 to 1.5 Sec.).Using dual high resolution displays is even more challenging for LR.

Try making the Develop module side panels as large as possible by dragging the border with your mouse, and perhaps increase the height of the filmstrip. Then use CTRL + SHIFT + F Key to enter and exit full screen mode for a larger image review of your Develop setting changes. On my system this takes about 1.0 sec., so this may not be a time saving option for you (i.e. ~3.0 sec.). Give it a try.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to ktgw

I am with you on the sluggishness of the develop slider activation... I'm sitting on a .5 sec. delay on a 4.5Ghz six-core with 32GB RAM & SSD drives...

One tweak you can use if you have a tablet is to play off of the fact that while the develop sliders are inactive for a little period while the photo renders in the develop module, the -/= keyboard buttons are active and they can control whatever develop slider is activated (you activate a slider by clicking on its name). So, if the table has a little dial thing (eg. wacom tablet) you can set it to control the -/= buttons and have instantaneous control over the exposure slider for example. While you still have to wait for the other controls to become active, at least you have one slider to play with :-)

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 4:18 PM   in reply to ktgw

Consider trying the Lr5 beta. Many people have reported much alleviation...

An excerpt from the queen:

_lr5_perf_imp.gif

~R.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points