The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread

Jun 3, 2012 9:12 AM

Latest reply: deepansh1989, Oct 18, 2013 9:03 AM
Branched to a new discussion.
Replies 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to needles27

needles27 wrote:

Just another data point - I installed Mountain Lion and gave it a shot.  My experience was I encountered many more "serious errors" than on Lion. In fact, it was much worse - getting the "tightykilt" error, Ae was saying I needed CUDA 4.0 or later in order to load (I have the latest CUDA 5.0.17) Ae was getting stuck on "Ray Trace Engine" loading, Pr would only show black in the program monitor, etc, etc.  All of this is related to CUDA, since I could run in software only mode with more luck.

I had hope.  Back to 10.7.4. 

Again, I am running MacPro 4,1 with the GTX 285.

I'll add your findings to the compilation. If you haven't filed a bug report yet about Mountain Lion, can you please do that? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your feedback. We know that the error message is not specific enough. We are working on that issue, and the underlying causes of Mac related problems. The compilation has highlighted issues for the team. As  I have said, repeatable bugs are the most valuable ones, but I encourage people to submit report "sometimes" or "once" bugs.

Kevin, thank you for your continued presence on this forum and this thread.  It is reassuring to hear that you and Adobe are aware of the issues and working on them.   I think we all look forward to the day when you or we collectively can pinpoint a culprit or a solution, and we can mark this topic "solved."

BTW, I don't know if this will work for everybody (and I'd love to find out), but I was getting repeated Serious Errors yesterday shortly after opening an existing project.  I was getting them for different reasons, like double-clicking a clip in the project tab and invoking a file>import from a keyboard shortcut.  I deleted my prefs and media cache, and have able to work without errors since then.  May be a coincidence.  But, that seems to be a temp fix that's been working for me so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim Curtis wrote:

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your feedback. We know that the error message is not specific enough. We are working on that issue, and the underlying causes of Mac related problems. The compilation has highlighted issues for the team. As  I have said, repeatable bugs are the most valuable ones, but I encourage people to submit report "sometimes" or "once" bugs.

Kevin, thank you for your continued presence on this forum and this thread.  It is reassuring to hear that you and Adobe are aware of the issues and working on them.   I think we all look forward to the day when you or we collectively can pinpoint a culprit or a solution, and we can mark this topic "solved."

BTW, I don't know if this will work for everybody (and I'd love to find out), but I was getting repeated Serious Errors yesterday shortly after opening an existing project.  I was getting them for different reasons, like double-clicking a clip in the project tab and invoking a file>import from a keyboard shortcut.  I deleted my prefs and media cache, and have able to work without errors since then.  May be a coincidence.  But, that seems to be a temp fix that's been working for me so far.

Sure, Jim. I'm working with engineering right now to make sure we have bugs filed for these issues. I'll let the group know which ones do not have a repeatable case. The day we can solve a lion's share of these issues will be a good one. BTW, I'll add your tip about deleting prefs and media cache files to the compilation post.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Make sure you've updated Premiere Pro CS6. Links to other updates are on this blog.

You can also go to Help > Updates to get version 6.0.1

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I hate to post every time I have an issue, but today I've been plagued with way too many crashes on all of my machines.

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion, I've had nothing but crashes on all 3 systems with Adobe Premiere (macbook pro, imac, macpro).  I haven't seen a kernel panic, but the entire system locks and nothing works (mouse, keyboard, etc) so I have to power down every time.  The iMac has crashed a whopping 37 times today--I've been saving after each adjustment so at least I haven't lost a lot of work..but I've wasted several hours just resetting my machines. The other machines have had less than 10..but I haven't pushed them as much as the iMac.

Please tell me there is an update coming out soon.  This is an absolute disaster for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to Strillogy

Strillogy wrote:

I hate to post every time I have an issue, but today I've been plagued with way too many crashes on all of my machines.

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion, I've had nothing but crashes on all 3 systems with Adobe Premiere (macbook pro, imac, macpro).  I haven't seen a kernel panic, but the entire system locks and nothing works (mouse, keyboard, etc) so I have to power down every time.  The iMac has crashed a whopping 37 times today--I've been saving after each adjustment so at least I haven't lost a lot of work..but I've wasted several hours just resetting my machines. The other machines have had less than 10..but I haven't pushed them as much as the iMac.

Please tell me there is an update coming out soon.  This is an absolute disaster for me.

Did you try re-installing Adobe over the new OS update?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to tclark513

Yep, clean install of Mountain Lion and new install of Adobe...along with all of the updates (on the iMac).  The macbook pro I didn't reinstall it, but iMac seems to have more issues so I'm completely stumped.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I just wanted to add this to the discussion. This is what followed my latest Serious Error notice.

[/Volumes/BuildDisk/builds/tightykilt/PremierePro/UIFramework/Make/Mac /../../Src/TimeBarControl.cpp-170]

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to tinklevision256

The one thing thats does seem to help is to shut down the entire system and then restart. I have more luck with this than trashing preferances and emptying cache.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to needles27

Yea, I am getting the exact same issues as needles27, the black monitors, the serious errors and the serious error with [/Volumes/BuildDisk/builds/tightykilt/shared/adobe/MediaCore/VideoFra me/Make/Mac/../../Src/VideoFrameFactory.cpp-233], but I am in Mountain Lion on my MacPro4,1 Quad Core 2.26 with 24GB of RAM and a GTX285 with CUDA version 5.0.17. I have had 16 crashes before i decided to try out Final Cut Pro for the project, but with all the media being from a Canon 5D, I need to convert everything or render (and the timeline render in FCP reads 8 hours).

Since I don't have time for that render right now, I am going to try installing my QUADRO FX 4800, and see if that runs any better than the GRX285.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to needles27

Yea, when I read your thread I was blown away. I have been having the exact same problem.

Only been up for about 45 minutes on the QUADRO FX 4800, and don't want to jinx myself, but so far I am running fine, without a problem.  I will report again later, but I haven't been this stable at all with the GTX285, but the QUADRO FX 4800 seems rock solid. TO me this means it must be a driver issue of some sort. Either on NVIDIA's end or on Adobes end running with the GTX285.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

Another hour later and still rock solid. For sure it is a problem with the GTX285.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:05 PM   in reply to needles27

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've got the Quadro FX 4800 and have been having the EXACT same problem.  This is a MAJOR issue for Adobe and CS6. I've been trying to get a solution to this as my CS6 is crash happy and I'm also losing hours of time rebooting the machine.  Let's hope the team hears us LOUD and CLEAR and takes this very seriously. This is a serious flaw that will prevent many from taking CS6 seriously as professional editors. I myself am finishing up a feature for imminent distribution and am unable to work.  Please, Adobe team, let's fix this ASAP otherwise that Beta badge that everyone is giving FCPX will soon be yours to wear as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

I ended up with a couple of crashes yesterday, but not the same ones I was getting with the GTX 285, but that is compared to 16 crashes in almost no time with the GTX 285. SO my system is a whole lot more stable with QUADRO FX 4800.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Jeremy Saville

Jeremy, which MacPro are you running a 4,1? And you are still getting the serious errors and screen going black with the Quadro FX 4800? What system are you running? Which version of CUDA? I wouldn't call mine rock solid, as it has crashed a few times, but it is pretty stable after removing my GTX 285.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

Cuda is 5.0.17. And yes still getting the sereious errors and screen going black. I'm on Mountain Lion.  It's quirky, you never know when it's going to start up, the other day I went for a few hours without a crash, but I wasn't using it much at that time.  It's just very nerve racking when you're trying to work. It comes down to being able to trust your tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to Jeremy Saville

We are continuing to attack the bugs brought up on this thread. I was just speaking with engineering this morning, they want to make sure we have bugs filed for every issue. Please make sure you file a bug report, if you have repeatable steps, even better. Random crashes are harder to pin down, but still file a bug if it happens to you. File it here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Just wondering, Kevin... do the crash logs you've been getting tell you anything?  Should we be sending them when we get a crash?  Seems like they'd tell you a lot more than a non-repeatable bug report.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Hi,

I spent a lot of money on a 2 day course on PP6 run in an IMAC. The program crashed constantly and the Instrucor, a Certified Adobe Instructor, had no idea what was going on. I have sinced purchased a brand new,newly released and  very expensive MAC BOOK PRO with the Nvidia Card and 8 gig Ram and installed Mountain Lion as well. I am using a GTECH 2 Terbabyte 0 Raid External Hard Drive. So far no "Serious Error" crashes. However, most of myProject  Media is OFFLINE with big red render line on Timeline. I tried to re-connect but cannot.

I read here in Adobe that this has something to do with numbering Hard Drives (?) and the path being messed up. I am using a one month trial of PP6 since I refuse to purchase this priduct until l I am reassured that it will work. If  not, I wil cal up Apple and buy FCP 7 via phone order.

If any knows how to re-link the media, I am all ears! I am not a technie and have zero interested in rebuilding computers. I just want to edit my projects!

Thank You!

Mari D.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 10:20 PM   in reply to DeeDeeDean

Welcome to the forum, DDD.

This thread is for the Serious Error messages.  If you're not getting them, then please start a new thread, or join one with your specific issue.  Thank you.  Look up "relink" in on-line help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to tinklevision256

latest error code.

[/Volumes/BuildDisk/builds/tightykilt/shared/adobe/MediaCore/VideoFram e/Make/Mac/../../Src/VideoFrameFactory.cpp-233]

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to needles27

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion!!!

Marilyn Pennell

Littleton, MA

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:39:24 -0600

To: marilynvdp@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread

Re: The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread

created by needles27 in Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, & CS6 - View the full discussion

tinklevision256 wrote: latest error code. /Volumes/BuildDisk/builds/tightykilt/shared/adobe/MediaCore/VideoFram e/Make/Mac/../../Src/VideoFrameFactory.cpp-233It's one I got frequently while trying Mountain Lion.  Going back to Lion 10.7.4 seemed to eliminate that one.  (Not the other issues, of course...)

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, & CS6 by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 8:13 PM   in reply to DeeDeeDean

It certainly seems to be more unstable when I am using/animating stills in sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to tinklevision256

Wow, I guess I picked a perfect time to switch to the PC. 

But in defense of the Mac , my 2008 Mac Pro only experienced this error 3 times in the last year. I wonder whats different about my system that has allowed it to elude this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to needles27

Any new About this?  I'm in a Macpro I recently upgade to ML (I did an clean install) but I'm still have "Serious Error"   not sure if there is something to do with this but my error is very easy to replicate:

1)Run and Nvidia card on mac my is a GTX 285

2)Imports 60p (59.94 fps)  MTS footage from a Panasonic GH2 or Sony FS100, NEX-5N or VG20

3)interprate it as 23.976

play with it in Premiere open After Effects check Safari etc in a matter of few minutes you will get a "Serious Error" I can't belived this thread has been open for so long and there are not signs of hopes   I'm very sad to swich back to FCP or need to start learning AVID

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to andycorleone

Disable the CUDA support for your GTX285 and things get a lot better.   Yes, I know, it's not ideal, it's not what Adobe promised, but hey, it's a workaround for now.

C'mon Adobe, let's have a fix, or at least some indication that you are working on it and it 'will' be fixed in a 6.0.x update and not a 6.5.x release.  If it's not fixed in a 6.0.x update you will lose me (and I suspect many others) as a customer.  Period.  End of story. So, what's the score?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to ExactImage

I am really speechless, that

a) This hasn't been discovered during development. I mean, do they test the stuff they program?? This is happening to so  many people and there aren't that many configs on the mac platform. Not like windows and thats rock solid.

b) That they haven't figured anythingout yet.. The thread started in June, right??

unbelieveable...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to bossy22

bossy, Not true, some progress was made.  We were accused of being whiners and conspiracy theorists!  ;-O

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to genefama

C'mon guys....the negativity won't get you/us anywhere. We all understand your frustrations. I've been running fine for a while now without any major crashes. Just no MPE. Go back to 5.5 if you can't handle waiting around for MPE.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 9:14 PM   in reply to EditorPete

Adobe admitted they were ignoring us and would keep doing so until we re-listed every complaint that we had already spent weeks listing in exhaustive detail--as if we were starting from scratch. Now you say quit complaining. Me, I just want to not have to re-link and re-render the same media everyday.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to genefama

Just submitted my REPEATABLE crash to Adobe.  Can someone else try to emulate this crash on their mac?  If so please submit your results to Adobe as well (bug submission form:  http://www.adobe.com/go/wish)

******BUG******

Concise problem statement:  Premiere CS6 crashes REPEATEDLY whenever I tweak drop shadow (and other times as well)

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. turn mpe on

2. add footage to timeline

3.  add drop shadow

4.  tweak quickly (click and drag paramaters) drop shadow

5.  Serious Error Premiere crashes

System specs:

Mac Pro OS Mountain Lion

Adobe Premiere (all updates)

2x3.46 ghz 6-core intel xeon

64gb of RAM

nvidea geforce gtx 570 open cl / cuda enabled

Very fast Raid 1400mb/s  R & W

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to ExactImage

ExactImage wrote:

C'mon Adobe, let's have a fix, or at least some indication that you are working on it and it 'will' be fixed in a 6.0.x update and not a 6.5.x release.  If it's not fixed in a 6.0.x update you will lose me (and I suspect many others) as a customer.  Period.  End of story. So, what's the score?

ExactImage, I've told you before that we know about many of these issues and are working on them right now. If a bug is repeatable, we can try for a fix, but if it is not repeatable, it is much more difficult.

When it comes to making software fixes, it takes time. This is really frustrating for users who need fixes right away. As an editor, I used to feel exactly the same way. Hang in there.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Seastage

Seastage wrote:

Just submitted my REPEATABLE crash to Adobe.  Can someone else try to emulate this crash on their mac?  If so please submit your results to Adobe as well (bug submission form:  http://www.adobe.com/go/wish)

Thanks so much for your submission.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to bossy22

bossy22 wrote:

I am really speechless, that

a) This hasn't been discovered during development. I mean, do they test the stuff they program?? This is happening to so  many people and there aren't that many configs on the mac platform. Not like windows and thats rock solid.

b) That they haven't figured anythingout yet.. The thread started in June, right??

unbelieveable...

bossy22,

a) Yes, we do test the program extensively. We had a beta program running for months before ship and bugs like this didn't appear. Yes, we had Mac users in the program. We also have internal QE, and other departments doing testing. When the app gets out in the wild, though, people have different installed software, configurations, and parts, so things can go awry.

b) As I remarked to ExactImage, software bug fixes are extremely hard to fix without repeatable steps. Fixing deeply rooted problems can't always be fixed quickly. As an editor, it is hard to understand why it takes a long time to make software bug fixes. Trust me, I've been there. It's definitely not an easy task.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to genefama

genefama wrote:

Adobe admitted they were ignoring us and would keep doing so until we re-listed every complaint that we had already spent weeks listing in exhaustive detail--as if we were starting from scratch. Now you say quit complaining. Me, I just want to not have to re-link and re-render the same media everyday.

We aren't ignoring you. We are on the forums every day trying to help. Not sure what you're talking about there. I was the one who re-compiled the list of complaints (many of them not related to the OP's problem of "Serious Error", by the way) because the thread became so unruly, our staff was having a hard time following it.

If you are having trouble with relinking and rendering media, please create a separate post so we can work on that problem on its own.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to genefama

genefama wrote:

bossy, Not true, some progress was made.  We were accused of being whiners and conspiracy theorists!  ;-O

Never said anything about whiners, but those conspiracy theorists...tsk tsk!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback.

I do undertand the time it takes fix software - and the importance of getting repeatable steps - I was a software engineer for 20 years, and certianly liked the feedback I got from beta testers. 

I trust you know that there are a few additional people here willing to beta test your fixes prior to releasing it out in to the wild again

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (6)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points