• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media downloads don't open within browser

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently noticed a strange quirk with the media downloads. On the home page of the site thecompass.net, the first rotating image is linked to a folder/PDF file which was uploaded via FTP, and when you click it, the file opens within Safari and Chrome.

However, a link in the lower left corner that says "Download The Guide" is linked to a literature item, which is also a PDF, but was uploaded via the Media Downloads feature, but when you click it, it automatically downloads the file...it doesn't open it in the browser.

Any clue why these two links to PDFs cause the browser to behave differently?

TOPICS
Content management and modules

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Supposed to be like that, because they are media items if you look at the URL it is a reference and no file extension so the browser does not handle it. This then allows a straight download and thus can record the stats for the download.

This is itended and wanted feature because in cases of media downloads you want them to do just that, download the item not view it in the browser

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supposed to be like that, because they are media items if you look at the URL it is a reference and no file extension so the browser does not handle it. This then allows a straight download and thus can record the stats for the download.

This is itended and wanted feature because in cases of media downloads you want them to do just that, download the item not view it in the browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Liam...I thought it might have something to do with the extension. And great point about the downloading vs. viewing...I'll try that reasoning with my client

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NP

If it comes to the streaming options you see that will keep the file extension so you can create something like a playable podcast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A download is not always desired.

For instance, I'm working on a secure zone portal.  Documents are stored securely only through MediaDownload.  We want the links to the documents to open for viewing, not for download.

Would be open to another method, if you have one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File extensions are a red herring — the behaviour is set by the Content-Disposition header.

In particular, BC sends the header Content-Disposition:attachment; filename=foo%20bar.pdf for media downloads, preventing the browser from opening it inline. That header is omitted for files added through the file system (SFTP / file manager), so the browser uses its default behavior.

What the browser does with the file doesn't change the way the file is downloaded; stats would be recorded either way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd be happy to use regular file uploads to a folder, if that folder could be made secure within a zone.

The only way I know of (in BC) to make a file secure is to do it with Media Download... unless there's another way?

In this case, MediaDownload is a good feature.  I just want to choose the behavior, like we can with target _blank settings for hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines