Skip navigation
Bronte Colagrossi
Currently Being Moderated

AVCHD Disc menu on DVD

Aug 3, 2012 5:16 AM

Tags: #elements_10

Hello all

I am hoping someone can please help me.

I have worked through Premiere Elements to make a disc menu for my wedding video footage, using the Wedding Doves template.

My footage is AVCHD.

I don't have a Blu Ray burner so the best way I can export the AVCHD footage is by burning AVCHD to DVD through Premiere.

When I burn the AVCHD file on to a DVD, the disc menu does not really work on playback through my Blu Ray player. I can get the menu to show on my TV, with a bit of playing around, but it doesn't automatically appear like it would for a store bought DVD or Blu Ray. Also, I am not able to use it like a standard DVD menu where I can return to it from the footage etc. Fortunately, the menu markers do seem to work though, so I can at least skip through sections.

I have tested burning a DVD (rather than AVCHD) and the menu works then, but obviously the quality is not as true to the original AVCHD footage, or the HD menu template that Adobe has built.

Grateful if someone can clear up whether I can even use disc menus when exporting AVCHD to DVD. If so, how do I make it work?

Many thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Bronte Colagrossi

Bronte Colagrossi wrote:

whether I can even use disc menus when exporting AVCHD to DVD.

You can't have menus on an AVCHD disk.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to Bronte Colagrossi

To be honest - why can't you not have AVCHD menus? The documentation explicitly names it and PrE 11 i.e. does not warn about it, but even more processes all menus (you see it in the exporter progress bar) and generates everything for it.

BUT: I have not found a single software player which can REALLY handle it - most of them just show some video with a static menu picture but cannot really handle inactivty.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to micromambo

The interactivity comes from the navigation that is written into the first VOB on a DVD-Video disc, by the authoring program, and is part of the DVD and BD specs. With a pure AV (Audio Video) file, there is no interactivity, except in a format, like FLV/SWF (Flash).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi,

Thanks Hunt for coming back on this quite old thread and trying to help.

Well then: I did what Bronte also wanted to achieve (as far as I understand): With PrE 11 I exported AVCHD to disc (and also into folders just tom compare the results) and tested the result with different software players:

XBMC cannot really handle the menu (in 10 sec. intervals it plays the menu like a still video, but you cannot really interact), but the main video still plays fine and I can jump to menu markers. Something not possible with PrE 11 exporting a single file (i.e. MP4)

VLC also is really crappy in regards to showing and interacting with the AVCHD menu - and again: the main video ist played perfectly.

So - anyone with success creating a AVCHD menu which you can interact with the same way like on a normal DVD (standard DVD format, not pseudo-blu ray as with AVCHD)?

Thanks,

micromambo

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 3:39 AM   in reply to micromambo

So. I checked it.

Used "Virtual CD V10" as virtual DVD / BluRay burner with Single-Layer BD-ROM and published a media to BluRay.

I found a software player which correctly plays BluRay and AVCHD menus: Corel WinDVD 11.

After successful test I tried it with AVCHD, menus and exporting to filesystem instead to disc (which definitely should show no difference) - works as well in Corel WinDVD 11.

Summary:

- I would expect that "real" HW players  do the job even better than SW players

- XBMC (12.0 RC, "Frodo") does NOT do the job

- VLC does also NOT do the job - the menu ist stuck, I cannot select a menu point.

- PrE 11 does a correct job exporting menus for all: DVD, AVCHD as well as BluRay. Cannot tell for other versions. Give the trial a chance (as I do currently) to find out.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2014 9:10 PM   in reply to micromambo

I am trying to play a AVCHD file I have created as a DVD would on my computer like you do using a video_ts file that is saved to a folder instead of a disk.

Did you create the menu for the AVCHD file using PE12?

What does Virtual CD V10 do?

I assume Corel WinDVD11 is to play the folder with the AVCHD file like a DVD menu on your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2014 9:49 PM   in reply to Phantomkeeper

Phantomkeeper

I am not clear on all the details of your question, but here is some information about disc menus that might be useful.

AVCHD format on DVD disc

Premiere Elements 12 Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD (burn to DVD disc or burn to folder)

You can burn your Timeline content to an AVCHD format on a DVD disc. You can apply disc menu to this burn to. Scene markers and main menu markers should be functional at playback when you find a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD format on a DVD disc. However, any stop markers that were placed in the Timeline for that burn to will not be recognized by the player (Blu-ray standalone or computer player that supports AVCHD format on DVD disc). With Premiere Elements, you can use a regular DVD burner for the Premiere Elements burn to for AVCHD format on DVD disc or burn to folder. The AVCHD format on the DVD disc presents as a BDMV Folder with many folders. The STREAM Folder in the BDMV folder has the video file (00000.m2ts) and the menu files (00001.m2ts and 00002.m2ts). If you decided to burn to folder and the project had menus applied to it, the end product would have navigatable menus once the BDMV Folder was put to DVD disc to give the AVCHD format on DVD disc.

AVCHD Export To File

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with one of the presets

In Premiere Elements you cannot apply disc menu to an AVCHD file exported to the computer hard drive by an export to file saved to hard drive route. All you get is an .m2t or .mp4 file saved to the computer hard drive.

Miscellaneous

The VIDEO_TS Folder has nothing to do with AVCHD format on a DVD disc. The structural unit of the AVCHD format on the DVD disc is the BDMV Folder. The VIDEO_TS Folder is the structural unit when you burn your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc.

Menus are available for the burn to products and for the creation of webDVD which is in reality a Flash file with menus.

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 are alike with regard to the above.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2014 10:26 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thankyou this is very helpful. From other posts I thought I was having to use IMGBURN and other programs or could not have a menu with a AVCHD file. I realise from your reply the scene markers still work. Using the AVCHD format on a DVD using a DVD burner  the picture is good. ( I thought I would need to buy a blue ray burner to burn AVCHD files). When I used the DVD format the picture was terrible.

The menu screen is not very clear but at least I have the functionality to select my scenes now.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 7:18 AM   in reply to Phantomkeeper

Phantomkeeper

Thanks for the reply.

With regard to the menus for the AVCHD format on the DVD disc, you should look at the following to see if they make a difference in the quality of the menus that play back

a. Do some mini test runs with different menus

b  If you are not doing so already, do a comparison between choosing from a menu with the "HD" marking versus those that do not have the "HD" marking. The menus trace back to .psd files on the computer hard drive. For each menu, there can be up to 3 different sets of .psd files that the program can draw on to present in the project based on your project preset. They are "s" standard, "w" widescreen, and "hd" high definition. Some menus have only "s" and "w". And, if you have a "hd" project and select one of these menus that is not "hd", the program will give you either the "s" or "w" set, often giving you the "s" choice (4:3) even if you have the "hd" project. You can verify what set is being displayed within the program by reading the Notepad document for the saved closed project.prel file involved.

Please let us know if you are OK with the above information. Any questions or need clarification for anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points