Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to backup changes?

Aug 3, 2012 12:51 PM

I tend to offload a full card 32GB of images on my SSD on my laptop and start having the computer import and change to DNG while on the drive home.

Then when I get back into the office I make virtual copies of images and edit those.

As I understand though virtual copies and even the keywords applied to those images, are not saved into the DNG.

How do I back them up say to my blueray?  I suppose I could make a catalog per job but that seems like a pain Currently I have several jobs that I would like to back up separately that are a part of the catalog.  (I current have the option to write to xmp master database off)  Thank you!    

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to kieran-mullen

this was a helpful link, and references a frequent forum user as well:

http://www.pixiq.com/article/saving-your-virtual-copies-to-xmp

By default Lightroom only store information about Virtual Copies in the catalog. This is a pain if you lose the catalog, or want to access the Virtual Copy outside Lightroom. Fortunately there is a work around. When you get your Virtual Copy to the finish point, save a Snapshot. If you now go back to the Master/Original image from which you created the copy, you’ll notice the Snapshot is also available to the Master. This means the settings from the Virtual Copy are easy to recreate even if you lose the catalog without a recent enough backup.

-janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to kieran-mullen

take a look at this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4306185

you may be happy:converting your raw files to DNG. Metadata is written to these files in XMP format, but within the DNG.

-janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to janelle_f

Just keep in mind that Lightroom ONLY saves Metadata by default to the Catalog file.

If you also wish some of this data to be written to xmp/DNG you have to specifically sellect this option in your preferences or use from the Menu bar "Photo> Save Metadata to File" Ctrl +S in windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to kieran-mullen

If you are using DNG, then I recommend just backing up your catalog to a secondary hard disk (not bluray), instead of trying to backup incremental changes. If you are using proprietary raw + sidecars, then incremental change backups make more sense. But if you insist, xEmP can create xmp sidecars for DNG, and backup all virtual copy settings in an xmp-like file (and all virtual copy settings can be restored from those xmp-like files, except for crop, tone-curve-enable, and orientation).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 1:12 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob, thanks for the plug-in!  I'm sufficiently paranoid to like to be able to back-up virtual copies, other than by backing up the catalog. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points