Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Error occurred, try later

Aug 3, 2012 2:55 PM

Hi,

see please the foto.

No crash in flash, other tabs with YT are still working fine.

In the selected tab appeared this warning with a black -grey pizelated background screem as in the analogic tv from the past

youtube error? what do you mean? a refrash does resolve the issue.

thanks.untitled2.jpg

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 9:44 PM   in reply to schützenkönig

URL?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 7:57 PM   in reply to schützenkönig

To me it appears that YT is issuing that message, not Flash Player.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

I can confirm that, from time to time, this is a problem with Youtube, and does not necessarily indicate that Flash Player is to blame.

This happened to me about a year ago, when I still had my old PC, operating XP.  I watched two videos on the Youtube site, clicked on the third, and got the message.  I then clicked the "Reload" button (I use Firefox) and it ran fine, but I found that I had to reload each video from then on at least once or twice to get it to play.

I knew that I hadn't downloaded any updates for anything, so I did some googling to find out if this ever happened to anyone else.

I did a Google search for:  Youtube "an error occurred, please try again later"

I came up with about 700,000 results.  (I just checked and it now calls up 851,000 results, so the list is growing)  Checking out some of the links, I found that this has been an intermittent though ongoing problem for years, and no single  cause has ever been identified.

Recommended and supposedly verified fixes have included:

Reboot the browser.

Empty the browser cache, including all cookies and history data.

Disable cookies.

Accept all cookies, including third party cookies.

Disable Flash Player's  graphics acceleration.

Enable Flash Player's graphics acceleration.

Disable the browser's  graphics acceleration.

Enable the browser's graphics acceleration.

Disable AdBlock Plus.

Uninstall and reinstall Flash Player.

Do a Comprehensive malware scan.

Upgrade the graphics card driver software.

Of all of these, there was one suggestion that actually worked for me: 

Wait a day or two until YOUTUBE figures out that they screwed up THEIR site and fixes the problem.

So far, KNOCK WOOD, it hasn't happened again, even with all of recent Flash Player and Firefox updates.   I DID fall victim a few months ago to the Firefox crashes caused by Flash Player's protected mode, and the techies on this site were very helpful.  Thankfully, the problem was fixed within a week or so.

OF

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to schützenkönig

11.4 was released today and it contains a number of Firefox/Protected Mode improvements.  I'd like to encourage everyone to give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 6:37 PM   in reply to schützenkönig

ProtectedMode=0 turns off the Flash Player sandbox.  Are you seeing this xul.exe crash with Sandboxing off?

Also, we advise strongly against this as this preference will keep sandboxing off in all future versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to schützenkönig

Thanks.  We're familiar with these signatures, but they're generic and span multiple issues (you can see the open Mozilla bugs in the crash report).

We're not able to reproduce this in the lab.  Once we can reproduce the problem, debugging and fixing it is usually pretty easy.  I'd like to try and build out a replica of your machine here, and see if I can follow the same steps to make the crash happen.  To that end, it would be helpful to collect some additional data.

1.) In firefox, type about:support

Just copy and paste the output into the reply.

2.) In Firefox, type about:plugins

Please copy and paste the output into the reply

3.) Please provide the output of the DirectX Diagnostic Utility

Click Start > type "dxdiag" [enter]

Click Save All Information

Copy the output of the file into the reply, or use Adobe SendNow/DropBox/PasteBin to share the file.

4.) If you can provide an exact URL and step-by-step instructions on repeating the crash (if it's consistent), that would be really helpful.   In particular, it would be interesting to know if you're skipping around in videos a lot, switching between full-screen, what quality level you usually watch videos in (on youtube), etc.   The more details that can help me emulate your behavior, the better.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to schützenkönig

I have seen the same issue in YouTube videos (same screen as in the original post). My Firefox is very old (3.6). It always crashes when I close it (ever since Mozilla stopped supporting it this summer). not sure if the crash is related to Flash - I assume it is not, in my case.

Basically, if I load a YouTube video, watch a small part, and then let it sit for a few hours and then come back to watch it, it will play for about one minute then say "Error occurred". If I refresh the browser the video will play through.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to nitrogen_7

Thanks for the feedback. 

We're not going to address issues in deprecated versions of Firefox, and recommend that you move to a currently supported release, just for the security patches.  You're asking for pain by running an old browser with known security problems.

If you'd like to stay on a relatively slow-moving release cycle, Firefox maintains Extended Support Releases for a year from their release.  They release a new major version of the standard Personal use browser every 6 weeks.  The ESR releases are more insulated for customers that don't have that kind of risk tolerance, but they continue to get security updates.  We'd recommend that you either a current Personal use version, or to a current ESR release.

By running Firefox 3, you're missing all of the security updates and getting none of the stability fixes.  We're not testing compatibility against Firefox 3, so there's no guarantee that this approach is going to remain a more stable option for you, either.

Firefox will switch from the Firefox 10 ESR release to Firefox 17 once Firefox 17 comes out.  It will then be patched for about a year, before they move to ESR 24. 

There's more details on their update strategy here:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

You *can* install Firefox versions in parallel, if you use the Custom install options (just choose a different path).  This would let you keep Firefox 3 for emergencies

Firefox will switch from the Firefox 10 ESR release to Firefox 17 once Firefox 17 comes out.  It will then be patched for about a year, before they move to ESR 24.

Anyway, if you're seeing the crashes in Firefox 17, I'd definitely like to collect some troubleshooting data from you -- but there's not much I can do in terms of making the experience better for Firefox 3.x users.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to Jeromie Clark

Hi Jeromie,

I'm sorry.... I actually wasn't asking for support. I was only posting to say that I had seen the same behaviour as the OP and give my specs (which are different than his). I should have been more clear in my post.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I had downloaded 11.4.402.287 not long ago, I was still getting gray box w/frowney guy for me to 'send crash report' then 'reload page'. But the last few days it has been crashing many many times, not only in YouTube but any video links from home page or other sites as well.  In fact just this morning I had to (for the 2nd time this week) actually pull the plug on my comp to shut it down. I have the latest version of Firefox. etc. So I'm a little confused & a lot irratated here.

TY

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to schützenkönig

The "!" icon is the Out of Memory icon. 

Having 20 Tabs of Youtube open means 20 tabs that are all running their own instance Flash, the YouTube video player built on top of Flash, and they're all buffering 30 seconds+ of video into your system's memory.

When we detect that your system might run out of memory, we first attempt to clean up, but if we can't free enough memory up (all of those 20 videos need their buffers -- there isn't a lot of unused stuff hanging around), then we display the OOM icon and shut down.  The alternative would be to crash the browser or the tab we're in, when we try to allocate more memory than your system has.  This is normal behavior.

In looking through the crash reports you've submitted, the last set you sent over are June - August.  The initial release of Protected Mode on Firefox revealed a bunch of timing problems that we weren't seeing in the lab, but we've resolved most of them at this point.

The other crash reports that you've sent over are the big remaining issue for Protected Mode, and the hangs that get reported are a generic bucket for a bunch of low-reproducibility timing problems.   

[@ hang | mozilla::plugins::PPluginScriptableObjectParent::CallHasProperty(mozi lla::plugins::PPluginIdentifierParent*, bool*) ]

[@ hang | WaitForMultipleObjectsEx | RealMsgWaitForMultipleObjectsEx | MsgWaitForMultipleObjects | F_1152915508___________________________________ ] 

These signatures always happen together, and indicate a place where the communication between Firefox and Flash Player break down.  

In sandbox mode, the communication between all of the processes is significantly more complicated than the older implementation. Because Flash Player is running content from the web that you don't necessarily want to trust, we now run with the least amount of privileges possible.  This way, if an attacker manages to hijack the Flash Player thread, it's not useful, because it doesn't have permission to do anything.  The downside is that the communication is much more complicated, because when we *do* need to do stuff, we have to call a more privileged broker process that does have permission to do stuff, but is very simple and limited in scope, and only responds to requests from the low privilege process that we whitelist.   

What's happening now is that we run into really intermittent timing issues.  Messages are now passed between Firefox, the plugin-container that hosts us, our broker process and the Flash Player plug-in process, where it used to be just Firefox and the plug-in, or Firefox, plug-in container and a high-privilege plug-in.  In very rare instances (when you think of the number of communications that are getting sent during an average browsing session), a critical message gets sent in an unexpected order, or gets dropped.   

This manifests in behavior where we'll successfully render an several hours of video at 60fps (or 30 seconds, because it's really random), but the browser<->plugin communication in one of those hundreds of thousands of frames goes wrong.  There's not a clear-cut instance of a simple programming error to point to, and we're not able to pinpoint with any good deal of specificity to what exactly went wrong.  It also seems to happen with more frequency on slower/busier systems, where there's simply more time going by between CPU timeslices for things to go wrong.

We (us and Mozilla) have been trying to isolate reproducible cases to separate bugs, which is why you see multiple bugs -- but there's nothing that we can consistently reproduce across different machines.  We've solved a couple of specific use-cases where we *could* reproduce that resulted in this signature, but there is still a significant number of these happening, and we continue to analyze and explore options with Mozilla.    Mozilla is continuing to improve crash reporting in the browser to try and gain more insight into what exactly is happening and/or to tease the individual root-causes apart, and at the same time, we're looking at larger systematic improvements that we can do to increase the resiliency without taking a huge performance hit. 

Anyway, as a short-term workaround for this particular issue, you have a few options: 

- Revert to the latest version Flash Player 10.3 (it has the latest security fixes, but pre-dates protected mode)

- Disable Protected Mode through mms.cfg    (really not recommended, as this preference will stick until you explicitly remove it from this file, potentially exposing you to future threats that would otherwise be mitigated)

- Use a different browser with the latest version of Flash Player.  Firefox currently has the most security Flash sandbox implementation, but the other browser implementations differ enough that you won't run into this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to schützenkönig

TY for replying....and before we get any deeper here, know that I am somewhat technically illiterate so please be gentle & specific-lol.  That said, where exactly do I find if I'm in 'safe mode' & I have NO idea what a 'gpu driver' is-sorry, but I warned you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to schützenkönig

Video does stop rendering on some platforms and browsers when the right-click context menu is displayed.  That's expected behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to schützenkönig

If you get the Firefox throttling message, you can go back to about:crashes and click the link again to force-submit it (right-click and open in a new tab *won't* work).

I'm not seeing anything useful, unfortunately.  One of those is a crash in the Firefox crash reporter, and the other is the generic, intermittent hang that we see for a bunch of unrelated issues.

I'm chasing another issue related to multi-bitrate streaming in Firefox.  Youtube and a lot of other premium video sites adapt the video stream to your real-time network conditions.  If the connection degrades, they switch you to a lower-bitrate stream until the connection improves enough to switch you back.   What I think is happening there is that we're not allowing some of the legitimate IPC (inter-process communication) messages related to that functionality to pass through our sandbox.  It's hard to know if the problems are related for sure, but the pattern is similar. 

If that's what is happening, watching the lower bitrate streams 240/360p on YouTube should keep you in a bitrate range where the multi-bitrate logic won't kick in.  It would be an interesting experiment.

I already have a bug open on the MBR issue for Flash Player 11.6 with my team, and we have a number of other stability fixes queued up.  Once the beta becomes available (we're a couple weeks out right now), it may improve stability for you. 

In the meantime, I'd recommend either switching to a different browser or disabling sandboxing temporarily.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to schützenkönig

RE:  XUL.exe crash with flash 11.5 sandbox on, , on FF exit, happnes again!!

also 11.5 did not resolve this crash

zeroreports

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi  schützenkönig  (Is there a first name I can call you by?)

I was just about to try re-enabling protected mode, since I downloaded FF 17.0 last week and haven't tested it yet with FP 11,5,502,110.  From what you've reported, there's no point.  In fact, it confirms what I read on the Mozilla help forum -- http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/942300  (Contrary to what the poster believes, hacking the mms.cfg file is no big deal.  If I can do it, ANYONE can without fear of blowing up his computer.) 

Along this line, I posted a comment--just before the introduction of FF 17.0--concerning a problem someone was having with a build up of FF minidump files  -- SEE -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2612567&p=12478283   That proves to me that the problem is NOT restricted to the people who have made it to this forum.  I'd venture a guess that there are probably a cumlulative total of about 6,000,000,000+ such minidump files in existance on computers spread out throughout the world.  This based on an estimated undetected 500 minidump crash reports per each of the 270,000,000 Firefox users throughout the world.  That figure is based  on Firefox's estimated 30 percent global market share, according to 2010 statistics published by Mozilla.  (You can Google it!)

The problem is, only about 12 people seem to know about those hidden crash files, or even the XUL crashes!!!

Frustrato!!!

Ortho_Fan

(David)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers