Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PP CS4 - Sudden Jerky/choppy preview

Aug 3, 2012 5:07 AM

Tags: #preview #choppy #jerky

Hello,

I'm working on premiere for few months now, and everything worked fine.

The "common" folder started to fill up and got to 65GB, so I deleted it.

After that - every high quality/heavy video I put in premiere is jerky when playbacking it (without rendering, and obviously after I waited for premiere to confirm the file).

It wasn't like that before, it was smooth (when no heavy effects are on),

But now I cant watch most of the videos - I get about 1 frame per second, the playback is just unwatchable.

Please help, this is very urgent

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to guyman20

OK, it sounds like you let PrPro re-Conform the files, creating the CFA and PEK files. Did you Render your Timeline?

Also, it might help to have a bit more info. This FAQ Entry tells you what could be very useful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961741?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to guyman20

>PPro CS4, 4.0.0

I think there were some bug fix updates... check the Adobe update site

All Adobe updates start here and select product, read to see if you need to install updates in number order, or if the updates are cumulative for the individual product http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to guyman20

Why something works one day, but not the next, is because something changed. The mission, should you decide to accept it, it to find out what has changed.

1. Was it an OS update, that fritzed the video driver?
    2. Has your HDD become filled to capacity?
    3. Have you contracted a WORM, a virus or a Trojan?
    4. Are there new software programs, that are stealing CPU cycles?
    5. Any new hardware added?
    6. Have you created a System Restore Point for today, and then booted to Safe Mode to choose a System Restore Point, from when things worked fine?

Rendering is for ultimate playback, so if I was having an issue with smooth playback, that would be something that I would explore. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/794719?tstart=30

Sorry that I do not have more to offer.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 6:11 PM   in reply to guyman20

I need any suggestion you might think of.

The "common" folder started to fill up and got to 65GB, so I deleted it.

Only thing that I can think of is, don't do that. Were you running out of HDD space? If so, maybe it's time for a larger HDD?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to guyman20

hmmmm... sounds like you tried to get 10 Lbs into a 5 Lb bag....and then accidentally tore the bag when you tried to make more room....

unfortunately you now have to spend a bit of time fixing the problem and no matter how urgent it is, you're gonna need to spend some time on this.

first and foremost...try to boot machine in safe mode, and then put all the files on the machine you want to save onto a DVD or something...

Backup all your important files right now...any way you can...including using DOS commands if you have to.

Then and only after backing up everything that is important to you, begin to fix this problem step by step.

No need to get those steps to fix until after you've backed up all the important stuff on computer...

as you back up your files, DONT RUN ANY PROGRAMS THAT USE A LOT OF RESOURCES ...keep it simple...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to guyman20

oh... its fixed ...whew...that was scary...I'm glad its Okay now.

what can cause this ??  well.... how many hours of free time do you have ??  The list is endless.

you didnt get the dreaded 'blue screen'... the dreaded blue screen is when you get NOTHING on screen...just blue color.

what you got was a message, and a very detailed one. It told you that your computer was having a hard time reading and writing to some portion of your hard drive ...maybe..

I say " maybe" cause often those warnings are not exactly accurate in terms of the real underlying problems..the actual "cause" of the problem.

if you check out your xp event logs and error messages and warnings etc you might be able to begin to pinpoint problems. that stuff is in my computer, manage , system tools, event viewer, and then there are 3 areas to check..usually system and application being the most relevant.

however, if its your hard drive you do need to deal with that, probably by getting another hard drive so you have more room , and then split stuff up...put program on c drive, project on D drive, resources on E drive, etc...

Then you also have to make sure your indexing service is off for all drives, and follow steps to maximize your computer for "editing" ( tons of messages here about that stuff in the hardware forum etc )... regarding your scratch disk sizes how to set all that up..

But basically, that screen you got is telling you that your computer is very close to being unhappy and not working anymore...even though you think it's fixed.  Stuff doesn't get better all by itself like magic...unfortunately.

good luck ! 

ps..when you post stuff, keep letting people know whats up cause otherwise we waste time answering stuff that is no longer a problem. Also, if this is now a problem that has been answered and so on, please mark it answered ...that way others dont waste time seeing if they can help out ...  we are just users like you and like to help one another... is fun !

good luck !

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to guyman20

more than welcome, you are...and the hardware forum is cool place to get help with computer setup and configuration etc...

some people in this forum may also help with most hardware and puter stuff...but you'll find it easy to search for stuff in hardware area.

I really suggest you try to do what you can to increase that hard drive space when you can afford it..even using external drives ( like Graid )  with esata or fw800 can be a huge help ...

plus..dont forget..you got a 32 bit system seeing only about 3.5 gig of ram...and if you try to edit HD on that you're gonna be taxing the heck out of that system no matter how good the system is....

plus HD uses tons of storage ( hence need for lots of HD space ).

PLUS...a hard drive is fastest and best when it is NOT FULL or even close to full...cause it reads and writes from the center out...so the less distance those little heads have to travel, the faster it is and the happier the hard drive is...

anyway, dont hesitate to post here, no matter what problems are..

Also...if you use google and search for stuff about premiere pro cs4 you'll often get references to these forums answers etc... just look at the results of your search and see if its adobe forums ... ( creative cow and dv something often also comes up ..).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to guyman20

For that BSOD, this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/772169?tstart=30 might be helpful.

Looks like you are getting close to sorting things out, but a BSOD is a very serious matter, and indicates that something is not right. It could well be something that you sort of work around, but then it can jump up and bite you again, at the worst possible time, when things line up against you - say a process is being used, at the same time as you perform a certain operation.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points