Skip navigation
Griffmon
Currently Being Moderated

MySQL Connection error

Aug 4, 2012 9:51 AM

Tags: #cs3 #mysql #connection #dreamweaver_cs3 #mysql_error

I am using DW CS3 and no matter what I do when tyring to connect to a MySQL databsed I get "an unidentified error has occured" when I click on the "Select" button. I am using "localhost" for the MySQL server and definintely using the correct User name and password for my web hosting account (Hostgator). Has anyone else ever had this problem or have any suggestions?? You help is appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to Griffmon

Do you have MySQL installed on localhost?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Griffmon

Localhost not your remote server.  You say you are using localhost for the MySQL server, so I am asking if you have installed MySQL on localhost.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Griffmon

This can be a bit tricky.  How did you install PHP - did you use MAMP or WAMP?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to Griffmon

Setting up a PHP environment in Dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setup_php.html

Building your first dynamic website – Part 1: Setting up your site and database connection

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_dynamic_site_pt 1.html

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to Griffmon

If you are on Windows, then WAMP is the choice - it will install PHP, as well as MySQL.

Now, you *CAN* use the remote host as your MySQL server, but the problem there is that when you are testing locally, you would use the IP address of the remote server, but when you go live, you have to change that to 'localhost'.

Normally what you do is to install MySQL locally, develop locally, and when you go live you just dump your database from the local MySQL and load it on the remote host.  That way, 'localhost' works in both places.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points