Skip navigation
legcramp
Currently Being Moderated

Constrain movement problem in CS4

Sep 25, 2010 5:45 PM

When I moved from CS3 to CS4 I noticed an annoying change... it occurs in both InDesign and Illustrator... when I hold the shift key while moving an object in order to constrain it's movement to either vertical or horizontal, the image (or text box) will suddenly move to a different page! Usually up!

When I "undo" and move the item by holding the shift key and punching the arrow keys it moves just fine. In CS3 holding the shift key and dragging an object constrained it's movement NOT shifted it to another page!

Any ideas? This could very well be some dumb thing I should know... HELP!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 26, 2010 5:45 AM   in reply to legcramp

This would not be normal behavior in any version of InDesign. First, are you fully patched to 6.0.5?

Since you say this happens in Illustrator also, it sounds more like a system configuration problem of some sort than an application or file-level issue. What are the system and OS specs, what else do run in the background, and are you using any languages other than US English?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to legcramp

I'm having a same problem in CS6. When I hold the shift key while moving an object in ordder to constrain or select moltiple imagaes or text box to constrain it's movement to vertical or horizontal will suddenly move to a different page or off the page and go back and forth.

How can I stop? HELP!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to ichi5san

What OS? What mouse?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

OS 10.6.8
    I am using Logitech M705.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to ichi5san

I don't have any good ideas for a cause at the moment. Is it restricted to ID, or do you see it in other apps as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It's restricted only ID. My AI doens't do the sam things.

It goes back and forth so first that it's almost look like flashing between the pages as long as keep holding down the shift key.

Message was edited by: ichi5san

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to ichi5san

Try turning off accelleration in the mouse driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Turned off the scroll wheel and stop the problem!!!!  Yay!

I can't use the wheel to scroll pages but betther than slow me down every time moving selected objects and/or tex boxs with the shift key hold down.

It so strange that CS6 is really sensitve with the mouse. or I need the new mouse. I will try with this mouse on diffrent computer setting and see if my mouse need to be replace or just conbination of CS6 and scrolling with weel with mouse.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks to Peter Spier, the problem has been fixed!

Upgrading the driver from 3.5 to 3.6 for Logitech M705 mice did not fix the problem. But instead of turning the Vertical Scroll on MicroGear Precision Scroll Wheel, turned off the Zoom on MicroGear Precision Scroll Wheel Button it seems fixed the problem.

Now I can use the scroll wheel and problem free.

It is a bit strange because when I've turned off the Vertical Scroll the Zoom on Precision Scroll Wheel Button was still on but fixed the problem. hmmm...

Oh well, fix the problem so it's all good!

Again Thanks for your help!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points