Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Does PE10 install as a 32-bit or 64-bit application on Windows 8 64 bit?

Nov 1, 2012 8:23 AM

Premiere Elements 10 was released as a 64 bit application only when on Windows 7 64 bit. For all other operating systems, it was still a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system.

For me, that poses an interesting question about Premiere Elements 10 and how it was set up to recognize one operating system from another. I am still with Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit. So I ask, if I install Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8 64 bit, will Premiere Elements 10 be a 32 or 64 bit application?

Has anyone one been there and done that and found the answer?

Thanks.

ATR

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

It doesn't happen automatically, Tony. You must choose the 64-bit disc to install the 64-bit version.

Although, I'm not sure what happens if you download the program from the Adobe site. It clearly recognizes if you're on a Mac or a PC -- but I'm not sure if it also knows if you've got 64-bit Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

PE10 will soon be PE11.  My bet is it will know what Win 8 is and there will be drooling features that will entice you to upgrade anyway.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

If you install from the 32bit disc, PE is 32bit on the computer

If you install from the 64bit disc, PE is 64bit on the computer

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I do not have PE10, but I do read every message (and reply to some with links to previous discussions to help people)

The PE 32bit disc contains the 32bit program (a loaf of bread that says oat bread is, in fact oat bread) while the 64bit disc contains the 64bit program (a loaf of bread that says whole wheat is, in fact whole wheat)

That is why there are two different discs... so people may read the disc label and decide which version to install... I will GUESS Adobe did it that way, rather than a single disc with a single install program with a "check 32... or check 64" option just so nobody would mistakenly try to install the wrong program... or, maybe, because the program and support files would not both fit on a single install disc

I did not save a link, but I *think* I've read at least one message from someone who wondered why they could not install PE10, and the solution was they had 32bit Windows and the 64bit program would not install

If you have Win7 64bit and you use the PE10 64bit disc... that is the only thing you can possibly install... PE10 32bit is on the other disc

Whether or not either version of PE10 will work properly with Win8 is a different issue... which will be answered when Win8 is issued and someone tries to install and use PE10

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 12:06 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements detects if the OS is 32 or 64-bit and installs accordngly, automatically. If attempted to install 32-bit PRE10 on 64-bit OS, error messages are shown and installation is aborted. Similarly error is thrown when attempting to install 64-bit PRE on 32-bit OS. This holds good for Windows7 and Windows8 only. For Vista-64-bit, PRE installations are 32-bit. And we do not support XP-64.

To summarize:

For Windows 7 and Windows 8, we detect if the OS is 64/32 bit and install accordingly

For Vista and XP, 32-bit PRE is installed immaterial of the OS bitness.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

If you have issues with an Abobe product as I have, Adobe rather than guide you through it, will sent you here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Very helpful. I enjoyed working with Premier Photoshop Elements so much that I've decided to buy the last version 11, assuming it's a compatible with my 64 bit Vaio. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 6:03 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

The 64-bit PE10 does work on Windows 8 (I'm running it). It is noticeably slower on Windows 8 than it was on Windows 7 however. Will Adobe provide an update to speed this up on W8?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 7:21 PM   in reply to sonix8719

>Will Adobe provide

This is a user to user forum... no user knows Adobe's plans... any user who is part of the Beta process has signed an agreement not to tell... any employee who wants to remain an employee will also not tell things before the product is ready to go on sale (or, be added to the updates page)

Having said that... and as a NON-employee... my best guess is that now that version 11 is being sold, there will be no further work on version 10

But, to find out if there are any updates...

All Adobe updates start here and select product, read to see if you need to install updates in number order, or if the updates are cumulative for the individual product

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to sonix8719

Thanks for that. I'll atempt to reinstall it this week.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Tried obtaining install disks from Sony but without success. What I could do is partition my HD and reinstall Win 7 in a separate partition if I fail to reinstall Premier and Photoshop Elements, or simply buy the combo version 11 which has features I need not found in ver 10. Thanks for your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to fjmx

Partitions sometimes do not work well with video editing

Partition = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957286

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to John T Smith

For more info on partitions, when doing video-editing, this article (cannot recall if it's linked in John T's thread), might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2858648#2858648

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points