Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

can't import PSD from Photoshop

Aug 4, 2012 1:48 PM

This is weird. Trying to import a PSD file. Error message from PPro cs6 is "We were unable to open the file on disk."

The file is a still image that came to me as a JPG. I read it into Photoshop cs6, cropped it, made the canvas 1920 x 1080 (to match the size of the PPro sequence), did some retouching, and ended by running the Broadcast Safe Luminance action on it. Then I saved it into the PPro project folder as a *.PSD file. Like I've done hundreds of times now with dozens of PPro projects.

Went to PPro cs6. Found the file using Media Browswer. File...Import From Media Browswer gives me a pop-up Preview In Source Monitor Failure window with the "We are unable to open the file on disk." error message.

What makes this all the more frustrating is that PPro can find and open the file that I worked on just prior to this one. Same conditions, same workflow, same directory, same protections on the files (I did check that). The two files look to be exactly the same except for the file name, and the file contents. Everything else is as identical as I can make it. And none of my disk drives are even half full, so it shouldn't be a space issue.

So if PPro can read one, why can't it read the other? And what can I do to get PPro to behave properly and read the file? The files don't seem to be corrupted -- Photoshop can read both of them just fine. In any case, I've recreated the problem file from the *.jpg source several times now so I think I can rule file corruption coming from Photoshop out. Maybe.

I've wracked my brain for 90 minutes trying to figure out what changed between the first file that works, and the second one that doesn't. I've come up empty. I worked on one, then the other, then imported the first on into PPro (which worked), then imported the second one into PPro (which failed). Exact same source (both files were *.jpg attachements on the same email), same workflow, saved into the same directory. ARGHHHH!!!

I've done most of the "usual suspects". I've exited out of both Photoshop and PPro and restarted. I've saved the problem file in other fomats (same error no matter what format). So I turned to Teh Google, which didn't turn up much that pertained. Couldn't find anything in the Adobe help docs. So, anyone here tell me what's going on?

--

Bruce Watson

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to cfg_2451

Few things to check - is the Color Mode of the PSD RGB. It cannot be CMYK, or a few others.

I have had issues with Smart Objects, in that sometimes, they Import fine, but not always.

Tiny Layers (just a couple of pixels x pixels) have cause problems.

Adjustment Layers have been known to cause problems.

Normal Layers, so long as not tiny, always work perfectly for me.

Nothing else that comes to my mind, but good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to cfg_2451

Bruce,

I cannot tell you how glad that I am, that it was that simple. I was not kidding, when I said that "... nothing else comes to mind."

The Color Mode is a common issue, and especially when one is working with material from a design house, that sends files out for commercial, ink on paper printing.

Good luck, and good news!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points