Skip navigation
ybjlus
Currently Being Moderated

Lumix gh2 corrupt mts files

Aug 4, 2012 2:47 PM

Tags: #mts #corrupt #lumix

Hi guys,

I have a lumix gh2 (hacked) when filming the sd card was full so I backed it up to an externel hdd hooked up to my mac book pro. That process went fine, but some files/clips appear to be corrupt... This is just random, its about 10% of the files. The camera records in a .mts extension.

The files won't playback in any player, it just stops responding. Even when I try to import the clips in premiere, it stops responding also.

The first seconds of the clip are fine, I used tsmuxer to create a serparate clip for that. But the rest of the clip is corrupt. Tsmuxer stops at the point when the corrupt bit begins. mediainfo does let me see the original size and lenght of the clip.

Is there anyway to repair the .mts clips?? I don't have de sd cards anymore so I can't recover anything of the sd cards....

gr

Mehmet

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to ybjlus

when filming the sd card was full

This part really scares me. I try very hard to never fill up a card, or a HDD, as bad things often happen, when you do.

Now, and depending on so very many variables, you might (a really big "might") be able to recover the corrupt files with a utility, like Stellar-Phoenix, or Recover My Files. Not sure if either are ported for the Mac, but if not, there are probably similar.

Also, companies like SanDisk offer utilities too.

Might be worth the effort with a trial of a few of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to ybjlus

Upload one of the files.  I'll take a look here.

http://www.depositfiles.com/en/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to ybjlus

If the files can't properly be read for a copy process, then it's likely the sectors on the hard drive are bad.  You might be able to try something like SpinRite to correct the issue.

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to ybjlus

Let us know how it works out.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to ybjlus

it is a mac external hdd connected with usb 2.0 to an windows machine

Uh, probably.  Windows does not natively read HFS+, the standard formatting for Mac hard drives.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 7:55 PM   in reply to ybjlus

I have to tell, it is a mac external hdd connected with usb 2.0 to an windows machine... So maybe that has something to do with it...

I could see where that might be a problem.

Not sure about HFS+, but you might investigate MacDrive for Windows (latest edition), and see if that changes things.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to ybjlus

Try connecting the Mac drive to a Mac.  Are the files still unreadable?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to ybjlus

And you can't copy them to the internal drive on the Mac?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to ybjlus

I haven't had problems from my MTS files from my Panasonic GH2 but one shoot I did had problems. After trying Prelude and Media Encoder and converting, video still could not be read in Premiere. First, you should copy the entire folder to your hard drive (I didn't this time). Double click the folder with your media. You should get an Open File Folder. Click a clip and it will open in Quicktime. Export to Movie and that clip WILL work in Premiere. Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points