Skip navigation
Slateclean
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Web Sites with Pages of Different Heights

Aug 3, 2012 10:16 PM

Tags: #flash #swf #stage #.swf #flash_websites #flash_web_sites #stage_size

http://louiswu.aisites.com/imd233/final/index.html

The above link to the my latest class project. You'll notice on all but one of the site's pages that when you scroll down in your browser, that there's a big gap between the bottom of the content and the bottom of the browser. The exception is STORE.

Have I just stumbled on a "limitation" of creating web sites with Flash, in that the page with the tallest content will dictate how tall the stage is for the rest of the site?

I'm not even sure what I should be asking here: Is there some sort of work-around, or some entirely different way I should be working when using Flash and HTML/CSS together?

The only option I see right now is to create separate .swf files for each pages, and then embed them into their own HTML files.

LOL. Did I just answer my own question?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to Slateclean

When you create a Flash swf file it has one stage size, and that stage size is whatever you make it. 

Most people design a Flash site to fit within the browser window size and not have one that requires scrolling.  In that scenario, if scrolling were necessary, the scrolling would be built into the swf and the browser scrolling would remain unaffected.

For a site that varies in height from page to page, it would be more likely to not create a Flash site, and instead create individual pages for each section.

So in a way you have kind of answered your own question.  If you want to use Flash for the design and you want to have the different sections only scroll as much as necessary using the browser scroller, the easiest way to accomplish that is to have each page as a separate html page containing a separate swf file.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to Slateclean

You can use the Scrollpane or you can create your own custom look/scrolling elements using movieclips and masks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points