Skip navigation
newnamex
Currently Being Moderated

Will an upgrade from CS2 to CS5 on a new machine invalidate the CS2 on the old machine?

Aug 4, 2012 10:45 PM

Well, I do not understand this forum. I can't tell if my earler question was posted or if I have to start all over. Very confusing. 

One more time . . . . .

Having trouble trying to post on this. Please pardon any redundacies. Got a new computer. Copied and upgraded Photoshop CS2 to CS5. I would like to give the old computer to a family member or friend. Will they be able to use the CS2 on the old machine? (an iMac 10.6) or is that the end of that CS2? 

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to newnamex

You only have one valid license, and that is yours. You could use CS2 on your machine, or CS5 -- but you can't legally give CS2 to someone else.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 11:19 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

You only have one valid license, and that is yours. You could use CS2 on your machine, or CS5…

Glad you see it that way, Guru Cox. 

When the issue came up on the installing and upgrading forum, someone represented the position of the Adobe legal department to be otherwise.

See this post of mine from a few minutes ago:

station_two wrote:

John Waller wrote:

If you have purchased the perpetual license version of CS6 then it's yours to keep and use forever.

When CS7 arrives, you can:

b) upgrade to CS7 at upgrade pricing (and still use CS6 if you wish)…

You'll find this hard to believe and even harder to swallow, but the position of the Adobe lawyers is that the EULA implies or specifies that you lose the right to use the earlier version when you upgrade.  I know, that's horse manure.  Many of us keep several versions of Photoshop installed, and there are occasional, legitimate reasons for going back to an earlier version.

Think Image Ready, Picture Package or any other functionality deprecated by Adobe or 3rd-party plug-ins that don't run in 64 bits or those that have been bought by Adobe only to kill them, like Grain Surgery.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 11:49 PM   in reply to newnamex

It will work fine, of course.  The difference of opinion mentioned is just about the legality, not functionality. 

You can keep the two versions on two computers, or both on one and the same computer.

If you plan to use just one computer, then uninstall the old version BEFORE you install the newer version, because using the uninstaller for the old version may damage the newer version too.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 11:53 PM   in reply to newnamex

Just so you are not confused, I keep versions of Photoshop 7.x through 11.x installed on one and the same computer.  That's five different versions. 

Because I'm on a Mac, I can even run more than one version of Photoshop simultaneously, just by launching the older version(s) first and assigning them different scratch disk volumes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to newnamex

newnamex wrote:

No, question was about running (or unistalling, etc.) CS2 on the old computer, not the new one…

OK, that is not allowed under the license.  They have to be on the same computer.

Check out this recent post in another thread which clarifies it.

newnamex wrote:

I don't know anything about scratch disk volumes.....

Scratch disks are like virtual memory that Photoshop creates the instant you open each and every image or create a new document.  Keeping them on separate volumes when running more than one version is just a safety measurre, out of an abundance of caution.  This is not applicable in Windows because Windows does not allow two versions of Photoshop to run simultaneously anyway.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 5, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to newnamex

newnamex wrote:

So, just to clarify
    Last answer is ???

Do you think that by continuing to ask the question again and again that the answer will change?  You were given THE answer by an Adobe employee.  It did not need clarification for you to know the legally proper course of action. 

Even if 100 people answered that it would be okay to cheat it would still be illegal to do things prohibited by the EULA.  Go read it yourself.

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to newnamex

The answer is you cannot use this program on the other computer so yes, delete it if that is what you want to do to reclaim space. I think that the extra material in response to you was actually trying to help you by trying to figure out if you could continue to use the program on your new computer (and that led to some disagreement). The answer: you can't use the old program on the old computer was given fairly early on in the discussion but you might have missed it as this was the post that also started off the conversation about using the old program on the new computer. But it is there if you review the thread and that is what probably frustrated Noel a bit. These forums do provide amazing help to people in all sorts of ways. The fact that the conversation got off side a little for you is unfortunate but it did provide useful information for others. I don't post much here mainly because my knowledge is not up to it but I read this forum daily and I can assure you that Noel is not rude and I have seen him continue to answer discussions long long after I would have thrown in the towel. Honestly, go back and read the entire thread. I think a better way of viewing it is that a lot of people tried to help you out and were also helping each other with different facets of the problem. You seem to be frustrated that people did not just respond solely to you and Noel was frustrated that you did not see the answer that was posted for you. A better way of viewing this is that it is actually rather lovely that people bother helping at all

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 5, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to newnamex

I accused you of nothing.  You implied accusation and rudeness all by yourself, and you have made your intentions all the more clear:

newnamex wrote:

I would like to give the old computer to a family member or friend

If the produc[t] is not usable I don't want it taking up room on th computer. It seems to me that I might have as much trouble trying to uninstall ot whatever you call it - the products as we have had trying to figure out if it is uasble No one has answered that question at all. 

To assme that someone is trying to skirt "the law"

In one sentence you claim not to be trying to skirt the law and in the other you state that you are trying to determine if the product is usable on the other machine, implying that if it IS usable you'll keep it there.  You claim to be equating "usable" with "compliant with the law", yet then you write:  No one has answered that question.

Was the pertinent part of Chris' answer, quoted below, not clear to you?  Maybe the font was too small.

Chris Cox wrote:

...you can't legally give CS2 to someone else...

Maybe there's another implication that could let you off the hook.  Trouble is, nowhere have you stated any change of intention to give your computer to someone else, but if you DID choose not to give your computer away different rules would apply.

If you want to stay within your legal rights to continue to use the software, then you need to read the EULA.

What's the other part of your question that you feel is still unanswered - whether you can actually uninstall the software?

On Macintosh, the uninstaller is in Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 5, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to newnamex

Look, it's not been my intent to accuse or upset, but just going on what you wrote - and you should understand that no one here knows you by anything more than that - it's been easy to misconstrue your intent.  I'm sorry for my part in any misunderstanding.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to newnamex

newnamex wrote:

…The question that no one has answered is will I have problems trying to take it off - uninstall…

I cannot believe you would have the gumption to write that at this stage. 

You are a moving target, since you have now changed the original question in your original post, see:

newnamex wrote:

I would like to give the old computer to a family member or friend. Will they be able to use the CS2 on the old machine? (an iMac 10.6) or is that the end of that CS2?

Your question has indeed been answered and in enough ways to fill in the many gaps left by the ambiguity in your questions and your shifting stances.  I'm a bit older than you are, so don't try pulling the age card here. 

Let's try again:  you cannot use the old version on a different computer, even if you keep it yourself.  Period. 

Of course you should not run into any difficulty whatsoever in uninstalling CS2 from the old computer. That's why Adobe provides an Uninstaller for each version—at least on the Mac.  Use that uninstaller (if you are on Windows someone else has to tell you if and where there is such an uninstaller on your setup).

Now, if you also happen to have CS2 on the new computer where CS5 resides and you want to uninstall it from that new computer, then you should know that the process of uninstalling CS2 from where CS5 resides runs the very real disk of damaging your CS5 installation.  If that situation exists, then give [edit ==>>] serious consideration to changing your mind and keeping both versions on the same computer.  If you are really tight on hard drive space, then get a bigger hard drive, because if you're that short on drive space, then the drive is too puny to run CS5 anyway.

If despite all this explanation, you do want to remove CS2 from the computer where CS5 resides, then go ahead and take the trouble to uninstall CS5 first, then uninstall CS2, and, finally, re-install CS5 from scratch.  CS2 does not need to be installed in order to run the CS5 upgrade.

All Adobe upgrades are FULL INSTALLERS, and they do not need to find a prior version installed to work.  If they find no such prior version installed on the same disk, they will prompt you for the old serial number as well as the new one.  Even if that prompt should be missing for some weird reason, contact Adobe Customer Service by phone and they should be able to get you squared away.

Noel—who is a helpful and very knowledgeable volunteer—has been most helpful and gracious with you and he deserves an unequivocal apology from you.

(By the way, EULA stands for End User License Agreement.)

Trnsprnt_Apple_in_circle.png

Message was edited by: station_two

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 8:42 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Be clear on this:

You need to uninstall, or otherwise destroy or delete, that CS2 version on that old computer before you sell or give away said old computer to anyone.  If you keep that old computer, you still need to uninstall CS2 or abstain from ever launching said CS2 application again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 12:11 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

you cannot use the old version on a different computer, even if you keep it yourself. 

I'm not disagreeing with this statement, but it definitely surprised me, because users are entitled to install PS on two different computers as long as they only use one at a time (e.g. one at work and one at home).  According to my reasoning (which may of course be faulty), it would follow that I might originally have installed CS3 on two computers (one at work and one at home) and then installed the upgrade to CS6 on both computers as well.  So I could use either CS3 or CS5 on either computer, as long as I have only one instance of PS running at the same time.

The two pertinent sections of the EULA

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-MULTI-20111031 _1230.pdf

Portable or Home Computer Use.

Subject to the restrictions set forth in Section 2.1.4, theprimary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.1 (“Primary User”)

may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer

or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home

Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

5. Updates.

If the Software is an Update to a prior version of Adobe software (the “Prior Version”), then Customer’s

use of this Update is conditional upon its retention of the Prior Version. Therefore, if Customer validly

transfers this Update pursuant to Section 4.6, the Customer must transfer the Prior Version along with it.

If Customer wishes to use this Update in addition to the Prior Version, then Customer may only do so on

the same Computer on which it has installed and is using the Prior Version. Any obligations that Adobe

may have to support Prior Versions during the License Term may end upon the availability of this

Update. No other use of the Update is permitted. Additional Updates may be licensed to Customer by

Adobe with additional or different terms.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 12:17 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Reading through the EULA again, I don't see a restriction on using the prior version and the upgrade version at the same time on the same computer, so my original post should read: 

"So I could use either CS3 or CS5 on either computer, as long as I have only one computer running PS at the same time." 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:41 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen,

Did you read the post I linked to, or did you miss the unfortunately barely recognizable link in my post?

Anyway, here's a full URL and some excerpts:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4599205#4599205

John Waller wrote:

The EULA seems clear enough that use of Prior Versions is OK provided they're used on the same machine where the update is installed.

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-MULTI-20111031 _1230.pdf

5. Updates.

If the Software is an Update to a prior version of Adobe software (the “Prior Version”), then Customer’s use of this Update is conditional upon its retention of the Prior Version. Therefore, if Customer validly transfers this Update pursuant to Section 4.6, the Customer must transfer the Prior Version along with it.

If Customer wishes to use this Update in addition to the Prior Version, then Customer may only do so on the same Computer on which it has installed and is using the Prior Version. Any obligations that Adobe may have to support Prior Versions during the License Term may end upon the availability of this Update. No other use of the Update is permitted. Additional Updates may be licensed to Customer by Adobe with additional or different terms.

It's a jungle of EULAs out there. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

So, your conclusion is unfortunately wrong, acresofgreen

With the upgrade you essentially lose your license to all previous versions, with the exception of those residing on the same computer where the upgraded version resides.

Until John cleared this up by informing me of that exception, my personal conversations with the Adobe legal department had convinced me that with the upgrade you essentially lose your license to all previous versions, PERIOD.

Glad to know there's that exception John found.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

acresofgreen,

Did you read the post I linked to, or did you miss the unfortunately barely recognizable link in my post?

Yes I did read the post you linked to and I quoted the same link, so we are on the same page as far as that goes.  

The following sentence from the EULA makes it sound like only ONE computer has been used the whole time.  However, my point was that in fact, users can install the software on TWO computers so they should be able to use either the prior version or the upgrade on either of those TWO computers as long as they don't use both computers at the same time. .

If Customer wishes to use this Update in addition to the Prior Version, then Customer may only do so on the same Computer on which it has installed and is using the Prior Version.

(Of course, the OP's situation is quite different, since (s)he wanted to give his old computer to someone else and can't legally let the new owner use the software at all.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to station_two

On second thought, this EULA cited by John Waller is a mess in that it references "updates" instead of "upgrades"! 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

So, your conclusion is unfortunately wrong, acresofgreen

With the upgrade you essentially lose your license to all previous versions, with the exception of those residing on the same computer where the upgraded version resides.

Until John cleared this up by informing me of that exception, my personal conversations with the Adobe legal department had convinced me that with the upgrade you essentially lose your license to all previous versions, PERIOD.

Glad to know there's that exception John found.

I replied to your previous message before seeing this one! 

The information given to you in personal conversations with the Adobe legal department was obviously wrong (judging by what is in the EULA).  This is disturbing

Did you ask them who would be offering support for previous versions if the user community is not allowed to fire up an old version to answer questions about it? 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:56 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

On second thought, this EULA cited by John Waller is a mess in that it references "updates" instead of "upgrades"! 

I noticed that but assumed that the lawyers just didn't know what they were talking about! 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

…I noticed that but assumed that the lawyers just didn't know what they were talking about! 

Just another example of degenerative deterioration in the mammoth Adobe bureaucracy.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 6, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to station_two

Lawyers cause that in pretty much anything, not just mammoth bureaucracies.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to newnamex

Sorry for hijacking the discussion, newnamex!  The answer to your original question was clear - you may not give away your computer with CS2 on it.

To get rid of the emails, log into the forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general?view=discussions with your Adobe ID and in the upper right of the user interface (under ACTIONS) you can opt out of receiving email notifications.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to newnamex

Ha!

newnamex wrote:

The only Eula I understand was my Aunt Eula and she made the best yeast rolls ever.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points