• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening Help Topic in a New Window

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm posting this inquiry after searching the forum for the above topic. I have a client who requires that a contextual help page be opened in a new browser window when users press F1 in a web application screen. The client does not want help opened in a new tab or in the same window as the web application screen.

The web application for which I'm writing help supports only Internet Explorer, versions 7 through 9 (no other browsers). The client programs in .NET and, for security, handles HTML help pages like .aspx.

I have RoboHelp HTML 9 installed. Contextual help mapping is done with an external XML schema that pairs web application screens with target help topics via F1.

In practice, despite the new-window requirement, testers have found that CSH opens differently with different combinations of browsers and operating systems. With Windows XP - IE 7 & 8 and Windows 7 - IE9, when the user presses F1, the help screen is opened in a new tab. In Windows 7 - IE8 (32 and 64 bit), it opens in a new window. This last is the way the client expects it to work.

Here's my question: With RoboHelp HTML 9, can I control whether help opens in a new window, the same window or a new tab? Or do I need to rely on a developer to configure the web application server so that help opens in a new window as expected?

So far, after a search of user documentation for RoboHelp and my help mapping configuration files, I haven't found a way in RoboHelp or Help Mappings to control whether contextual help opens in a new window or a new tab. I would appreciate any information on whether this attribute can be controlled through a server configuration, or .NET, or some other aspect of the system beyond RH. Or am I overlooking something in RH?

Thanks and regards,

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure here but I would say that there is no way you can make that happen from RoboHelp. I believe it will always open in the way you describe, according to the user's browser settings and operating system.

If there is a way to do it, my gut feel is that is something that your developers will have to implement.

As a software user, I think it would irritate me to find new browser instances opening but you have to go with what your client wants.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peter, many thanks for your response. I have discussed it with the client team, and a developer will be working on the solution.

Regards,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp