Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Noise spills onto BG?

Jul 29, 2012 10:54 PM

Tags: #problem #help #issue #layers #cs6 #folders #clipping_mask #groups #noise_filter #move_layers

hello:                                                                                                   Level: Newbie   OS: Windows 7 64bit    Ps: CS6

I went through a half A***d tutorial (to make an iPad) which was a huge part of my problem ...

The tut would say to do things that couldn't be done - so I would find an other way ... which I believe created problems

when I was done making the iPad and then tried to Group my layers into some sort of order ...

The Noise (Filter) I used on the Main Shape of the iPad spilled out of its Clipping Mask and onto the BG layer ...

or actually onto every aspect of iPad

Am I assuming correctly that having moved the Layers around and placing them into Groups somehow disrupted the Clipping Mask?

I read that I can make a New Group and then just drag the Layers up to the Folder

However, I couldn't find in the manual anything about what to do when moving Layers into New Groups goes wrong ...

Well, any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hope all is well and Thank You Much for your time!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to Kar209

The Noise (Filter) I used on the Main Shape of the iPad spilled out of its Clipping Mask and onto the BG layer ...

or actually onto every aspect of iPad

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to Kar209

It might be helpful as well to show the image, and point out what it is you feel is wrong.  I'll go out on a limb and say it will also be helpful to identify which layers you expect to do what, specificially (e.g., this (name it) layer adds the noise, and that layer is expected to be the clipping mask, etc.)

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to Kar209

I skipped the first few layers because they are just the Face time camera and the Home button.

Please post that because it might contain a clue that you haven't recognised.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to Kar209

Hi Kar,

First i want to say that your project is coming along very nicely.

OK, about the unwanted noise in the background... Here are your last two images with an adjustment to enhance the noise.

Screen-shot-2012-07-30-at-20.31.01.png

Screen-shot-2012-07-30-at-20.31.07.png

Edit: The noise in the background is only in the first image, and if I've understood correctly, you created the second image before the first image, and something has gone wrong when you tidied the layers into groups, causing noise in the background instead of being clipped to the iPad.

Can you post a screenshot of the Layers panel with the opened layer group which contains the noise layer?

Or how about putting your PSD in a Dropbox or similar and posting a download link?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:42 PM   in reply to Kar209

Kar209 wrote:

My Print Screen key is broken so I just downloaded Jing last night.

Have you tried using the Snipping Tool that is built in to Windows?  If you haven't, you'll find it in the Accessories Program folder, or just click on the Windows Start button and enter "Snipping Tool" in the search field to find it.

Agree that your project is looking good! 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Kar209

You don't know what hair pulling is about until you work for Apple.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to Kar209

Kar, the background noise is in the first layer above Background, named "BG Radial Gradient". Hide all other layers to prove that. I guess you accidentally applied an "add noise" filter to that layer at some time.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to Kar209

can Noise or other Filter effects be removed or once applied they are there?

If they were applied as Smart Filters to Smart Objects.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points