Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Download suddenly stops

Aug 4, 2012 2:25 PM

Tags: #dreamweaver #ftp

Using DW CS6 I can connect to the remote server successfully.  I have created a local site folder on my Mac.  When I click on the Get icon (down arrow) in Local View the download starts and after a few minutes stops.  The log says "File activity complete", however there are very few files on my local site.  I have tried to DL several times with the same result.  I did successfully DL another site from a differnt remote server.

This is a screen shot of my Site Setup for the site I am having a problem with (www.inslee.net).

Screen Shot 2012-08-04 at 5.15.52 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Jim04

Do you have the latest update for DW CS6 which addresses several FTP issues?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to Jim04

Adobe released a critical update a few days ago. 

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4587354#4587354

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to Jim04

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to Jim04

Jim04 wrote:

Tried the DL again. This time 706 files were updated then after about 30 seconds the operation timed out and was cancelled.

Do you have to use DW's FTP program?  Why can't you use a dedicated FTP programs that are designed to do exactly that.  For example, I use FileZilla and I have never used DW's FTP program since CS4 days.

Download FileZlila Client

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 7:23 PM   in reply to Jim04

Jim04 wrote:

This very discouraging.  You are the second person today that has suggested I use another FTP app.  The first was a member of the Web design firm we use.  I moved from Window to a Mac and subscribed to the Creative Cloud.  I can't believe that Adobe's Dreamweaver can not handle FTP.

To be frank with you, I tried using DW's FTP in CS4 (some time ago) and for some reasons it failed.  So I decided to use something else because I was under pressure to upload something quickly and I didn't have the time to investigate it further. Since then, I have stopped using DW's FTP and stuck with FileZilla.

Don't misunderstand me.  I am sure DW's FTP does work but looking at another thread I am not convinced:

<http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1006148?tstart=0>

145 postings and some: 15,300 hits and people are still saying it doesn't work.

To me time is of essence.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to Jim04

Personally, I think that dealing with 10,000 files in DW is not a good idea at all.  DW is good for basic sites of about 25-30 pages (say 50 pages).  Anything as big as 10,000 files seems to suggest that you need more than DW.  T don't thing anything off-the-shelf is available for such tasks.  You need bespoke system for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

While I agree with your feeling that 10,000 files is perhaps too large for convenient use with DW, I really disagree with your lower limit.  Many of the sites I have had experience with are much larger than 50 pages.  I would set that mark at least ten times higher, personally.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Murray *ACP* wrote:

While I agree with your feeling that 10,000 files is perhaps too large for convenient use with DW, I really disagree with your lower limit.  Many of the sites I have had experience with are much larger than 50 pages.  I would set that mark at least ten times higher, personally.

What I am trying to say is that you can  edit files in DW because for someone creating 10,000 files must be an experienced designer so he can easily handle links and all that, but trying to upload files using DW (or Expression Web) just doesn't make sense to me.  This is a big project and you need to have full control of your files.  If upload is stopping, and starting and stopping etc doesn't instill any confidence in me.  How can you be sure all the files are uploaded?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

Different people have different experiences with FTP in DW.  Uploading does not stop and start for me.  I can't help but feel that there is a strong local environment involvement in this finding.  Nevertheless, I take your point....  There is no doubt that a 10k file site is a huge site and one that needs special tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

They are just starting to find the fastest man on this planet (could be

Jamaicans again)!  Put your TV on or login to get BBC live.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Jim04

Perhaps you need to upload only those files that are changing rather than a complete site.  In your case, since you are downloading the pages to get on to your desktop, you can use any other tool just once and continue using DW for files that are changing.  I don't think all 10,000 files are changing everyday are they?

There must be a sync option in DW that uploads only those files that have changed.  Perhaps this may be the best option for you.  But you need to get the files on your desktop before you can do any of these things.

I will try to find if there is anything on Adobe website about using the Sync option in FTP module.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Jim04

A product called "Expression Web" is a Microsoft commercial entity.  Is that what you are referring to?

For AV Group, I spider 9 pages (not counting dependent files or external links).  There should be no question about DW's ability to handle this site.

For inslee.net, I spider 81 pages (not counting dependent files or external links).  Many of the pages gave a timeout so I can't be sure this count is accurate - the server seems very sluggish to deliver some of these pages.  Again, there should be no questions about DW's ability to handle this site.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

There must be a sync option in DW that uploads only those files that have changed.

There are several ways to do this. Indeed, there is a synch option which will synch based on timestamps.  There is also a way to select files that have changed recently in the local site, and only upload those files.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Jim04

I just tried getting something from your site and it is very slow indeed:

2012-08-05_2002.png

Waited for five minutes and still trying to open it.  This suggests that the only way possible is to use a FTP program that can access the full file structure. I was using the http to download the files but it might take good 30 to 40 minutes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to Jim04

If you want to be sure, send a private message to me with your FTP login information and I'll try the same thing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points