Skip navigation
stian.i.haugseth
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to import multiple shoots to multiple folders

Aug 5, 2012 6:20 AM

Tags: #import #folder #4.1

Hi,

I have seen similar questions here on the forum but either they are not what I'm looking for, or older versions of LR.

What I need is to import from one folder / memory card and mark some of the photos with different shoot names or headline. This name should then be used as a final folder name.

My current structure:

- 06_Cyprus

- 07_Vacation in Denmark

- 07_Trip to Oslo

I have 20.000 photos in this structure already imported by Bibble and before that Downloader Pro. I would like to do everything in one program, not have to use Downloader Pro every time I need to structure my photos.

The only way I have seen to do this in Lightroom 4 is to do multiple imports and that gets annoying! This is the biggest factor for me if I will continue with Bibble / Corel Aftershot or go for Lightroom.

Lightroom version: 4.1 [829322]

Operating system: Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)

Version: 6.0 [6002]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Physical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2,6 GHz

Built-in memory: 8190,1 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 8190,1 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 862,5 MB (10,5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 884,6 MB

Memory cache size: 1236,5 MB

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1280x1024

Regards

Stian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to stian.i.haugseth

IMO this will largely depend on the groupings within the images you are importing - and on what pattern of folders you want them to go into.

One idea: If images from the same card have been taken on different days, LR can separate the imports automatically "by date". LR will make new subfolders to an automatic naming scheme that you specify, but it is a simple matter to go back immediately afterward, and rename these as desired within LR's Folders panel. LR can be told to put these into the suitable "year" higher level folder (month too, if desired) so an import preset which implements this, can continue to be used longterm.

Another idea: it is possible with many cameras, to start a fresh folder on the camera card on demand. This can highlght a natural break (for example, between shooting one occasion and a different occasion later on the same day). LR normally is expected to ignore folders within the camera card but can instead be set to organise its import "by original folder". It will then sort the imported images into correspondingly separate subfolders. Again, these can be renamed afterward.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points