Skip navigation
neutronbob
Currently Being Moderated

ID CS6 Crashes on Start

Aug 5, 2012 11:08 AM

Tags: #crash #cs6

ID routinely crashes on startup when I double click on an ID file - Windows dialog pops up stating that it is searching for a solution (never finds one).  After that goes away I can double click on the ID file again and all is well  - so it does not stop me from using ID...

This used to happen on my laptop with CS-5 but never on my desktop.  Now that I have upgraded to CS-6, it now happens on my desktop as well.  It is now irritating enough to cause me to post a question...

Both machines Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit.

Any ideas on next steps here?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to neutronbob

Are you using a font manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to neutronbob

The bad news is Windows doesn't produce a crash report with any really useful information, so all we can do is guess...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to neutronbob

Are there any similar software products on both systems? Antivirus or additional plugins perhaps?

Running through some steps in http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-system-errors-f reezes-windows.html crosses my mind, particularly running in a simplified startup to see if anything might be trying to monitor the application when launching that first time.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to neutronbob

Could be Norton...

It sounds like somthing isn't getting the chance to finish loading before ID tries to open the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 6:01 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

And I second Scott's suggestion to try a simplified startup configuration. Run MSConfig and turn off startup programs that you don't need (which includes pretty much everything on the list, but especially the a/v and any other malware scanner). Test ID, then start adding things back until it fails, presuming it worked on first test.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points