Skip navigation
Jeremie_M
Currently Being Moderated

PDF save size not matching result.

Aug 5, 2012 12:11 PM

Tags: #cs4 #size #pdf #bridge #mac #output

Bridge CS4

I have a series of images that are 1280x2048@300dpi. I am trying to save them as a pdf with one image per page. I have gotten all of the settings to work, except for the size.

I am saving with a custom layout and size, with width of 1280px, height of 2048px, quality of 300ppi, 1 column and 1 row, no margins.

However, when I save the PDF and open it in Preview and display it at actual size, it is significantly larger than what it should be. It is appearing to be about 1900 pixels in width, and of course it quite pixelated.

Anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to Jeremie_M

Not sure what you mean by 'significantly larger'. The size of a PDF is measured in inches or mm, and the size on screen is controlled by the zoom percentage.  You cannot expect PDFs to open such that in one particular image the pixels are exactly the same as the screen pixels if that's what you are hoping.  It isn't Photoshop and 100% view will not be the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to Jeremie_M

have you looked at the exact zoom level shown?

I have manuals for software and hardware when first opened are opened ant maximum screen size andyou have to reduce the zoom level down. The zoom level is determined by the author of the PDF before it's saved.  you can adjust the zoom level in Preferences set to 100% or 125% the resave the document and it should open to that size. If its ent to someone  it will be 100% or 125% based the viewers monitor. which make make it to large or two small.

Acroabt does thing different than say word or excel. 100% means to them ability to see the entire page at one time which makes it so small and useless. !00% in Acrobat page width is roughly the size you see when printed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Jeremie_M

Simply because a PDF is nothing like an image in its concept.  A PDF is like a piece of paper. It has dimensions (inches or mm). This is what you see on screen. 100% is a strange idea because it isn't based on the actual size of your screen in inches or mm, but there it is, usually assumed to be 72 dpi. (You can adjust it). There is NO SUCH THING as a size in pixels for a PDF.

The PDF might contain things with no resolution, or two images, one at 100 dpi and one at 200 dpi. So in such a case what could 100% mean?

You can argue if you want that a PDF containing just one image should have different rules from everything else but this would be immensely confusing. I'm afraid you are just going to have to adjust your expectations.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to Jeremie_M

Caution on using Preview will literally tear PDF forms to pieces once opened and saved in Preview the form will never work.

For regular PDF's Preview is okay. Forms no!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to Jeremie_M

I mean if they are opened by preview they will become corrupt so that they are no longer usuable. even in Preview after they have been closed.

Forms "MUST" be opened by acrobat or Reader. Possibly PDFPenPro.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points