Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver Help | Import and export Dreamweaver site settings

Jul 26, 2012 7:58 AM

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Community Help

I am trying to export my website from Dreamweaver MX on Windows to Dreamweaver CS6 on a Mac. However, the .ste file is showing up as a Parallels file. Is there any way around this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to santafeart

It doesn't matter how the file *looks* - go ahead and import it in DW's Site manager.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 12:24 AM   in reply to Community Help

I had to erase and install my Mac OS and now I can't find the site definitions I created. I'm poring through backups on my external hard drive, but can't find the files. Where are they normally stored?

Nick

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to Community Help

It appears that the multi-site export does not work - it only exports one site, no matter how many I try to select.  Any thoughts on this?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to diver-g

You must be doing it wrong.  When I select all the sites in Site manager, and click to export them, they are all exported.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to diver-g

Confirmed: DW CS6 on Win7 Enterprise x64: even with ALL sites selected in the list, it ONLY exports the TOP site in the list.

Seriously screwed up my system migration attempt earlier today.  I assumed I must have mis-clicked, so I reinstalled the old HDD and booted up my old system again (thank goodness I didn't wipe it yet).

Sure enough, after selecting all sites & hitting the "Export site(s)" icon below the list, it offers to export only the top site listed.  Bug confirmed on my system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to diver-g

I can't even export one site from this  without it crashing!

Identifier:      com.adobe.dreamweaver-12.0

Version:         12.0.3.5861 (12.0.3)

Code Type:       X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd Re: Dreamweaver Help | Import and export Dreamweaver site settings

Date/Time:       2013-01-11 17:47:47.383 -0500

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version:  6

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 6:02 PM   in reply to Community Help

is it posible to import a site that was created in an earlier version of Dreamweaver....say, CS3?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to IsleA-Row2_Seat7

Does the crash occur for all sites you have?

Where are you exporting the site to? If you pick a different location, such as your Desktop, does it still crash?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to bashirib

Yes, you can import a site (.ste) that you exported out of a previous version of Dreamweaver. (Be certain to note that you must first export it out of the previous version.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 4:46 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Well "Ghost in the machine!" I opened up DW this morning and thought I would give it another miss and long and behold it allowed me to export all my site settings for backup. Odd but true.

Thx for posting back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 3:09 AM   in reply to Community Help

I also tried to export multiple .ste files to a single folder without success. Individual files worked. I was able to select the multiple files, but only the first selected would import to the destination folder using the dialog in Manage Sites. Using DW ver. 12 Build 5861.

As others have noted, the reason for my export of .ste files is migration to a new drive storage media. Moving all the files to new media somehow did not pick up all the needed information to allow DW to recover it's settings. Either the backup of these files fails or they disappear for some other reasons.

In the end, however, I was able to recover my settings and make DW operable again. So thanks for the tip about the export/import feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 4:10 AM   in reply to henryseiden

I have tested this on build 5861 of DW CS6 on WIN and MAC both and it works fine. May be you should have tried resetting preferences for DW.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to bgupta16

bgupta16 wrote:

I have tested this on build 5861 of DW CS6 on WIN and MAC both and it works fine. May be you should have tried resetting preferences for DW.

OK. Looks like you're right, then. What gave me pause is that the dialog  names only the first site of the group (and allows you to change the name of it!). Don't you think that's a bit weird? If you don't change that it goes ahead and copies out all the selected folders to the destination.

N.B., your site does not accept .png graphics.

Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 8.15.17 .jpg

Message was edited by: henryseiden

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am trying to open up my current website in Dreamweaver and am unable to figure out how to do so.  It is an html site from StormDance-Antenna.  It keeps asking me for the .ste file and that does not exist on the flash drive the previous person provided.  Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to JBRAGGAK

You will need to transfer the site files from the flash drive to your computer, then from within DW, choose Site > New and use the site folder you copied as your "Local Root Folder" under Local Info.

Since the site wasn't exported from DW, there is no .ste file to import which is why you get that error. The site file only contains things like test server and FTP info for DW. DW just works with the .html, .jpg, etc files as they sit on your HD, it doesn't store them within the program or anything like that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points