Skip navigation
beerope
Currently Being Moderated

How to create a stroked line that randomize each stroke color?

Aug 6, 2012 12:46 AM

Hi all, I am strating out designing in illustrator and I need help on how to created a stroked line, -----------, with each stroke (  -  )  a different colour, like, each stroke having a different randomized color which differs from the next one.

Also, I need help on how to mask out parts of a template given to me by my school so i dont infringe that boundary when I add my lines to it. All helps appreciated, thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 1:46 AM   in reply to beerope

Could you post a screenshot?

As for randomizing Stroke colors I suspect that may need Scripting.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/illustrator/illustrator_scripting

I need help on how to mask out parts of a template given to me by my school so i dont infringe that boundary when I add my lines to it.

Object > Clipping Mask?

But I may misunderstand, so could you please post a screenshot to clarify?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 6:54 AM   in reply to beerope

Expand the dashed stroke. Then apply the randomize script from www.wundes.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to beerope

You can also use the Recolor Artwork and have a lot of control over the randomization.

Here's how:

After expanding a dashed line and releasing its compound path, make with different colors the top and bottom objects of the stack with the help of the Layers panel where you can easily select the top and bottom objects.

Next, choose Edit>Edit Colors>Blend Front to Back

Using the Swatches panel make a swatch group with the colors you want to use for the randomization. You can also open a Swatch library and drag groups or selected swatches from it to the Swatch panel.

With all objects selected open the Recolor Artwork dialog (F3), select a swatch group and press OK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 2:07 AM   in reply to beerope

1. Use a clipping mask (see manual on the details)

2. First expand the stroke (object > path > outline stroke). Then apply the script (see manual on how to use scripts).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to beerope

After outlining you don't have strokes, so you need to apply the color to the fills. Also: you should check if there are any compound paths. And maybe the script needs groups separated into single paths.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to beerope

You could try this one instead: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2050412 (see the answer marked as "Correct")

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points