• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Caching of installer files not working

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created an MSI for Acrobat Standard X with patches merged using the Customisation Wizard. This has worked fine except that although I selected "Enable Caching of installer files on local hard drive" this does not occur. Can anyone suggest why not?

Cheers,

Ben

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of a bug in this area. Can you poke around in the installer tables and see if ENABLE_CACHE_FILES has been set (use the Direct Editor). Alternativley, use the property on the cmd line or in Setup.ini.

hth,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks brogers_1, I haven't checked with ORCA yet but will do this.

Sabian, I was assuming C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Setup Files would contain the files and the installer would refer to these when another user logged on rather than the original installer source (which they don't have access to)

Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Thanks for advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you're working with 8.0 which is ancient history. Not sure the property above is supported in 8.0, but a look at the installer tables will tell you.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you expecting the cached installer files to be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Acrobat X Standard the cached files should be at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Setup Files\{AC76BA86-1033-0000-BA7E-000000000005}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all. To clarify, I'm on version 8 but have been looking at 10 mainly for this. Am I right in thinking that cached setup files should weigh in at several hundred MB? I only have a few KB which I assume is why the package then looks for the original source location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct about the size. 11.0 is due soon as well.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange one this, I've checked the MSI with Orca and all instances of enable_cache_files are set to YES. I've tried a test install using the command line switch to enable cache, still no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post your actual command line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same problem. I tried with the MSI taken from the SFX and with the MSI directly downloaded from the Adobe FTP yet the ENABLE_CACHE_FILES is ignored both when set with the Customization Wizard X (everything else works there) or when passed by hand to MSIEXEC.

If somebody could have a minute to spare to confirm the issue the command I used is: "msiexec /i AcroRead.msi ENABLE_CACHE_FILES=yes". Adobe Reader installs normally but in the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Setup Files" folder I only find an empty folder where the cached files should be. If I use the Customization Wizard in that folder there would be only an Enterprise.mnt file. Normally the lack of install cache wouldn't cause any issue but I started to be prompted for the install files source with the latest update (11.0.03) that came out today and I traced the problem back to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if "YES" in all caps changes the result.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the input, it helped me find what I think is a bug in the installer. If I use the official MSI, that is a single file with no additional Data1.cab (all files are in the MSI), the switch doesn't work, probably because the MSI expects to copy Data1.cab as well, but if instead I unpack the SFX installer and take the AcroRead.MSI and Data1.cab from there it actually works. The switch required uppercase, like you said, but I had tried also using the transform file that had set it correctly though. Thanks again, I hope this gets fixed, using the MSI+CAB increases the install time and also wastes more space on disk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines