Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

5.1 Mixing in Audition CS5.5

Oct 13, 2011 5:37 AM

Tags: #5.1 #premiere #digital #audition #dolbydigital5.1 #dolby #surround #multichannel

Is it just me or is surround mixing superior in Premiere than it is in Audition? In premiere, I have the ability to do multichannel panning AND and I can save the whole thing as Dolby Digital 5.1. I can't seem to find either of these functions in Audition. I can't seem to open Dolby files either for editing even if I wanted to tweak and save into a multichannel WAV, bring into Premiere and reexport 5.1.

I suspect this has already been discussed but I couldn't find it so I'd appreciate some guidance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 13, 2011 10:29 AM   in reply to JZuck

Audition can pan brilliantly for 5.1, and can output a 5.1 wave that you can import into Premiere for the Dolby 5.1 encode.

Here are the details.  Audition 4/CS5.5 requires that you set up your session intially as a 5.1 session.  You can also choose stereo or mono, and once that choice is made, you can't "expand" a stereo or mono session to 5.1.  (As a result, any session I think I might want for 5.1 later, but not right away, I set up as 5.1 anyway, then only mix to front L/R initially.)  If you add busses to your mix, you need to choose carefully whether they need to be stereo or 5.1-capable, depending on the content.  On each of your tracks you'll now see a multichannel panner that looks like a binaural dummy head.  Double-click to expand, and automate your panning to your heart's content.  It's an amazingly flexible panner but works differently than Premiere's or that of older versions of Audition, which should be an advantage in most instances. 

When it comes time to export, choose 48Khz (for video applications), a 5.1 wave, and 24 or 32 bit depth.  That file should read into Premiere automatically with correct channelization, and you merely need to set up a Premiere project for Dolby encoding to make it convenient for return visits.

Occasionally someone asks why Audition doesn't have a Dolby or DTS encoder, and the reason is simple: it's an expensive license compared to the cost of the product otherwise, and is one that only a niche of users would actually use.  I know that's not as convenient, but at least you have the Minnetonka add-on for Premiere for that handsome sum.  Is it still $250?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 1:14 PM   in reply to JZuck

Good work!  But I believe you CAN do the write function as Premiere does.  On the channel strip there is an automation status dropdown box.  Have your panner window open, the CTI positioned where you want to record automation, set the dropdown to "write," press play, and write away.

Your point about how it's hard to believe that AC-3 for Audition is a low-volume request is a good one.  It IS a request that comes up from time to time.  I guess the developers have left it to Premiere since Audition can't create DVDs directly.  I sure would use it too, if it were in AA.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2011 8:28 AM   in reply to MusicConductor

The "Write" is not yet implemented in CS5.5 Audition.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2011 12:37 PM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

Oh, crud.  You're so right.  You can grab that panner and hear sound anywhere you place it and make flybys all day, but you can't record the moves.  So what you want to do has to be accomplished by placing manual points.  That could take all day, I guess. 

Sorry, I was dreaming.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to JZuck

Here's my work-around.  I light up my old PC, open AA 3.0.  Then I open my audio files, fix them up as surround sound tracks and then save them as Dolby 5.1 files.  Then I open Discwelder and burn them to DVD and play them back on my Samsung Home Theater system.  They are 4-6 backing tracks for a live performance of of Old Norse Poetry. A good friend of mine does a lot of voice-over and radio production using the old Cool Edit Pro.

(Note to Adobe:  your upgrades are downgrades. While it was nice to finally be able to use AA on my Mac, you seriously FUBAR'ed it. ) 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to MusicConductor

You can record this automation in CS6 which was released earlier this year.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to Charles VW

I have CS6- (Adobe Audition), but I haven't been able figure out how to do this. Are you referring to Premiere or Audition?

LAM

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 8:12 PM   in reply to lavransrm@gmail.com

Hi lavransrm, Charles is definitely talking about Audition CS6 released not too long ago, the current spring 2012 release.  First, go find the surround panner window, which is a dockable panel that is much easier to use when opened and docked than the tiny "mini-me" version that sits on the channel controls strip.  Next, twirl down the track automation lanes area.  Now, if you understand how "read-write-latch" works in the channel automation, and you have the 5 surround panel parameters enabled (resulting in 5 more 'rubber bands' below your audio track display), you can record your fader moves in real time, and/or place and edit control points on the bands in the control lane.  You have to enable the control bands individually because there are potentially so many dozens of things you can add control bands for, that they default to having only the one for track volume, and make you 'open up' anything else so as to avoid unnecessary confusion. 

I'm not sure that's worded very well, but there's enough help-file and community help stuff on this, with pretty pictures worth far more than a thousand of my words, that any additional questions you have might be answered nicely there.  But be assured this is working VERY nicely - I won't make that mistake twice!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to MusicConductor

And a screenshot to help describe what's going on:

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 7.23.33 AM.jpg

Also, it is worth mentioning that there's an optimization that won't record track keyframe automation if there's no clips on the track, so if you're trying to record automation, make sure your track isn't empty (unless, of course, it is a bus or master track).

Audition's surround panner is superior in several ways (I'm sure I'm forgetting some)

1. It is possible to route audio to only the LFE, not possible in Pr
    2. It is possible to actually PAN a stereo source in a 5.1 space in any direction and width.  Premiere's Stereo to 5.1 "panner" is actually a balance control in the horizontal (Left/Right) axis.  So moving the puck left/right is only adjusting the balance between L/C/R and Ls/Rs.  Here in Audition, you can actually have the stereo source widen and get narrow.
    3. It is possible to disable any of the 6 destination channels
    4. Audition's LFE channel isn't low-pass-filtered, it can send audio untouched to that channel as it should
    5. Audition's surround panner has an optional larger UI in a dedicated panel that can be docked making it easier to use
    6. Audition's surround panner gives you a rough indication of the relative level that is being sent to each of the satellite channels

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points