Skip navigation
ezrafitz
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 problem opening video files

Aug 6, 2012 7:14 AM

Tags: #videos #cs6

I have the trial for Photoshop CS6 and the other day I was opening video files to make gifs from perfectly fine, however, now when I try to open video files a box opens saying "Reading Video Format" and then it gets stuck and frozen. I left it for an hour, when it came back it was just the same, sometimes it makes my whole computer freeze. I've tried several times with different formats, nothing works and I cannot open any kind of video file now into Photoshop.

Is this a common problem or is there anything I can do to sort it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to ezrafitz

To see if it is a video problem open Bridge and see if they play.  If they don't it is not PS.

If they play in Bridge and it worked before you might want to try resetting preferences.  Start PS and IMMEDIATELY hold down the Ctrl + Alt + Shift keys.  You should get a reset window.  If you see the splash screen you are too late. (Mac - Cmd, Option, shift keys).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to ezrafitz

You might try closing programs and  re-booting your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 4:41 AM   in reply to ezrafitz

I have exactly the same issue with Photoshop CS6. I cannot open video files, such as the FLV and Quicktime files I have on my PC, although these file formats work without a problem in Bridge CS6. When I attempt to open a video file, the progress bar hangs just before it reaches all the way across, and nothing happens. When I press 'Cancel', I get a message saying something like 'The file could not be opened because the DynamicLink Media Server is not available'. On a rare occasion, I can get Quicktime files to eventually open, but not without cancelling the progress in the way I have described, and trying repeatedly. However, I have NEVER managed to open FLV files by repeatedly attempting to open them in a similar way.

Just installed the Dynamic Link Media Server CS6 Update 1.0.1 in the hope that it was a bug and this update cures this issue, as it said it fixes various bugs. It is just the same.

Can anybody give me any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

I do have Premiere Elements 8 and, although I cannot use FLV files with it because it does not support the FLV format, I can open Quicktime files (a format it supports) without a problem. I would like to be able to use video files with Photoshop CS6 but, unless I can figure out what the problem is, I can only use Premiere Elements 8 for any video projects.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points