Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Publishing membership E-magazines

Aug 6, 2012 5:11 AM

Tags: #publishing #dps #ipad #indesign_cs5.5 #5.5 #digital_publishing_suite

Hi

Has anyone got any experience with publishing membership e-magazines?

We will circulate our magazine only to paying members so we cannot go publish our mag via the iTunes platform (as far as I know). I understand this would enable anyone to view our content and it would not be exclusive for just paying members.

Does anyone else have any experience of this and how to deal with it?

I see from other discussions that The Enterprise Edition could be a possible route but this would be pricey! Are there any other 3rd party service providers that may offer a similar service but at a more reasonable and affordable price? (We are a not for profit organisation, Sorry Adobe!)

I look forward to your replies.

Thank you

Roy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to Hybrid_3d

I’m afraid there’s not much of any way that is going to happen. Even with an enterprise license Apple is going to restrict distribution to internal use AFAIK.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 6:01 AM   in reply to Hybrid_3d

As Far as I know.

I suggest you look at interactive PDF.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Hybrid_3d

Where did you get the idea that you can’t buy single issues of Wired?

And why are you comparing Wired, which is publically available to something you want to distribute privately?

And Wired is published using an Enterprise level account which you’ve already stated you don’t want to pay for.

I’m afraid you’re not going to find anything suitable if you’re that worried about unauthorized distribution.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to Hybrid_3d

Roy -

You hit the nail on the head as it relates to restricted distribution and the challenges with the current model.

We have chosen the least resistance path for our member-only magazines. We publish a subset of each issue's content within DPS...but present the full version TOC. If a user selects an article that is not within the folio..they are directed to the organization website.

At least we maintain a digital presence...and build audience (albeit with limited content) while we wait for pricing/features to become more realistic.

Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points