When starting up PE10, after not having used it in about 4 months, I received an error message that read approximately:
"We have detected an incompatible display driver--please update. Intel Bear Lake B 1.4.0 - Build 220.127.116.1106"
When I went to an Intel download site I was unable to download this driver.
I have noticed no problems other than with PE10.
In any case, PE10 starts up, but when I bring up a finished project from the past, it will play audio, but not video. I am dead in the water.
What happens when you try to download the newer driver from the Intel Web site?
What are your browser's security settings?
Do you have a software firewall running?
Even a simple OS update can render a display driver obsolete. PrE (and some other programs, but not most), rely heavily on the display driver to fully function. That is why companies, like nVidia, and ATI/AMD issue driver updates at least monthly.
I'm going to talk to the company that assembled my computer and non-application software. They have been very helpful in the past in dealing with obscure audio driver problems. I'll let you know what happens.
There is several discussions on this problem on this forum :
search by keywords : incompatible display driver
One solution (which works in my case with Elements 9) is to delete the file
badDrivers.txt, in directory C/ProgramData/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0 (or version number)
Restarting Prel after this action works for my PC Vista. And I need to do this once or twice a year.
It seems to be related to windows updates, according to Steve Grisetti, one of the experts on this forum.
JM from France
If updating the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver, which I am in the process of doing with the assistance of the people who built my computer (there are two different versions of the hardware, and they are looking up which I have), doesn't work. I will take your suggestion.
Adobe Premiere Elements Tech Support in India is working on this problem. They acknowledge that even with the updated display driver, PrE 10 is still not displaying video, even with old projects. They did indicate that the problem may be unique to XP, which environment, they say, represents a very small fraction of PrE10 use. In the meantime, I am still dead in the water. Fortunately, my current project does not have a hard deadline.
In PrE 10, the file "badDrivers.txt" is in "Documents and Settings". And I can't understand why deleting this file (or renaming it, as I did, in case I had to restore it, but $%^&$%^&%^ it worked! I apologize to all who suggested this (and who I assumed to be nuts). Unfortunately I can't find the Adobe support email message so that I can tell Kumar (that's the name he gave me) about this.
If you look at the content of this file , you will find 'true' or 'false'. So it's a switch used by
PREL when starting the session I think.
What changes this content is not clear, and apparently not easy to solve, if you consider this problem
is following PREL versions.
If you look at your BadDrivers file, you will see it has been rebuilt with a good value.
I am happy this worked for you, it's the most important. I tell my own experience on this forum, because I
was very glad to have this method as an answer on my first question, 1,5 year ago !
JM from France